BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoei Neotec

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Shoei Neotec Reply with quote

Finally got round to getting a new lid to replace my aging Caberg Justissimo.

A Shoei Neotec replaces it. Again a flip lid, but slightly more expensive this time Shocked . As you should I tried various makes and models but found the Shoei fits my big head best. I had a XR1000 a few years ago that I crash tested Embarrassed and it passed with flying colours, so I'm confident with this helmet in that respect.

I know flips aren't for everyone, but I prefer this type of helmet for a number of reasons. The two most important for me are convenience and medical. Being a spectacle wearer it is far more convenient to keep them on while donning and doffing my helmet, and being a trifle... well, OK, extremely deaf, I am able to at least hear people mumbling at me by lifting the front of the helmet!

First impressions are good, but I'll leave a detailed review for later, when I've used it a bit more.

I shan't be using it tomorrow as its a tad tight at the moment. I'll let it 'bed in' a bit on shorter rides first.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Shoei Neotec Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
First impressions are good, but I'll leave a detailed review for later, when I've used it a bit more.


Have you used it a bit more yet? Smile
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Shoei Neotec Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

Have you used it a bit more yet? Smile


He's taking advice from the Jivaroan peoples of Ecuador and Peru on head shrinking Laughing
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Shoei Neotec Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Have you used it a bit more yet? Smile

Yes, but not enough

ninjabob wrote:
He's taking advice from the Jivaroan peoples of Ecuador and Peru on head shrinking Laughing

I think I need to, its a bit tiiiiggghhhttt!

Hopefully it will loosen up a bit, otherwise I've just made a very expensive mistake.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Iíve had this flip lid for a few weeks now and I am very pleased with it.

It was/is a really snug fit, especially round the ears. Too snug at first and it gave me serious ear ache. It seems to have moulded to my head now and no longer hurts. The snugness means, even flipped up, you have to get the angle right before attempting to put the lid on if you wear spectacles otherwise it tends to drag them off. Swings and roundabouts this as you need your lid to fit properly. There are grooves in the lining to accommodate the arms of your specs though.

The aerodynamics help make this very quiet for a flip lid. Opening the vents (more on these below) obviously adversely affects this, but itís still quite acceptable. It has a chin guard that prevents too much wind getting under the lid. Because itís a flip lid you donít get the problem Waki found of wiping your nose with it when taking your lid off!

Ventilation is provided by a two position sliding top vent, and switched top and rear vents. This allows varying degrees of air flow and its works very very well. The chin and top vents are easily moved with a gloved hand, not so the rear as itís too small. I leave the rear open at all times and control the flow with the other two.

The visor is pin lock ready and one is supplied, but I donít get on with these as I think they are too reflective. The visor can be cracked open to help solve fogging, BUT, as the tab is offset to the left, and the visor makes a very tight fit on the helmet the visor twists as you lever it up, making it difficult to assess when you have it in the right position. The tight fit does make a very good seal when closed though. The supplied breath guard and ventilation system seem to cure most fogging issues.

It also has a drop down dark internal visor which is well designed and very easy to operate. Itís, unlike some Iíve used, not too close to the face in use either. Feelings about these are mixed I know, and Iím undecided if they are absolutely necessary. I think they are useful when the sun is high in reducing glare, but I donít think anything helps when the sun is low and youíre heading into it.

The quick release ratchet chin strap fastener is easy to use, but I think the D ring method is more comfortable as itís infinitely adjustable as opposed to discrete steps on a ratchet. The snap lock on the flip up mechanism is a little vague sometimes, but I think this will become more decisive with use.

If you like a graphics paint job on your lid youíre out of luck as only solid colours are available, with the only flamboyant one being ďWine RedĒ. I think they are great colours, especially the ďAnthraciteĒ that I chose!

All the padding is removable which is useful for cleaning, especially if you sweat easily like me (yuk).
Itís intercom ready so should appeal to those who simply canít be disconnected for 5 minutes.

Itís a well constructed helmet but I certainly expect this for the price! The flip up mechanism and ratchet chin strap are both in stainless steel so no snapping of delicate plastics in these mechanical areas. Not so sure about the visor mechanism but time will tell.

looks 9/10 (for a flip lid)
value for money 7/10
functionality 9/10 seems to do exactly what it says on the box
build quality 9/10

Would I recommend one? Yes, if you are prepared to pay the brand price premium. Iím sure there are much better value for money helmets out there, but this is a very good lid.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at these the other day, look nice, although I didn't get on with the fit in the size they had.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group