BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insured or SORN?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Bits and snips..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Insured or SORN? Reply with quote

Thanks to the new "Insure OR SORN" rules... Rolling Eyes

I thought I'd check that my SORN/Laid up bikes are still covered for firet/theft. They are not Confused . Check when you SORN that you have "Laid up" cover.

I have Street Triple/Pan European on the road and the Firestorm & CB1300 are currently SORN... the firestorm & CB1300 are NOT covered for fire or theft... despite a premium having been paid for them as if they are on the road!!!

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Matty
Cant keep it up!
Cant keep it up!

Location: Peacehaven, somewhere between the mad house and my bike!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another get out clause for the insurance companies.

I had the same problem on my bandit while it was laid up. It was better to tax it and have full cover than to sorn it even though I wasn't using it Rolling Eyes

Sold it last week so thankfully saved some pennies Very Happy
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been on to the renewal team at Express Insurance, and should I decide to MoT, tax, & reinsure my two sorn bikes, I would have to trailer them to an MoT garage as they will not be covered to ride from my home to the garage.

This is really important stuff to note for those who lay their bike up over winter as it's really not made clear... I dare say it's the the small print.

Therefore my two sorn bikes are currently uninsured for fire or theft Sad

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Matty
Cant keep it up!
Cant keep it up!

Location: Peacehaven, somewhere between the mad house and my bike!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have you by the balls, to get insurance you need a valid tax disc and mot, to get the mot you need a valid tax disc... catch 22.

They are making it so you have to constantly insure, tax and mot any vehicle regardless if you are using it.

I honestly think these gov bods just sit around a table and the topic of the discussion is "how can we screw the driver over even more" Rolling Eyes
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty wrote:
They have you by the balls, to get insurance you need a valid tax disc and mot, to get the mot you need a valid tax disc... catch 22.

They are making it so you have to constantly insure, tax and mot any vehicle regardless if you are using it.

I honestly think these gov bods just sit around a table and the topic of the discussion is "how can we screw the driver over even more" Rolling Eyes

Aye, true dat, unfortunately.....
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2012/November/nov0212-sorning-for-winter/_/R-EPI-138483

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Benny130
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant get my head around this. Are the rules insure or sorn? If so if its insured why would you sorn? Because it would need to be taxed??
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny130 wrote:
Cant get my head around this. Are the rules insure or sorn? If so if its insured why would you sorn? Because it would need to be taxed??

Cos it needs to be taxed and it's possibly 6 months where you won't ride as the weather in this country is so shit.. as for what the hell tax has to do with your security arrangements (that I'm sure won't change as your not taxing it) agreed with the insurance company at the time you take out the policy.. I just don't get it... no MOT fair enough as this could possibly affect the state of the machine.. but tax? fuck knows
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are such daft rules, my son's insurance ran out but the bike was still taxed, and had to declare it 'sorn'. I bought the bike and then had to 'sorn' it again until I get it on the road or face a fine. If a bike is 'sorn' why doesn't it stay 'sorn' until someone gets it on the road ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Bits and snips.. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: