BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What bike is this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: What bike is this? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ok, I have a somewhat strange question that will probably make me look rather stupid Smile. I recently bought a 2002 plate CBR 600F that was imported from Germany in 2008. It's the banana seat PGM FI. The sprocket says 45 on it.

My question is this; what exactly have I bought? Is it a CBR600F-2 or a CBR600F4i? It does not say f4i on it, but sometimes I read of the 600f-2 being a late 90s bike? The manual just says CBR 600F.

While I'm at it, does anyone know if it is possible to get a seat replacement with 2 parts? I think they look better. I guess I need to know the exact model number before that can be answered Wink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tristanphillips/6982532208/

Thanks Smile

Tris
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com


Last edited by tphillips on Wed May 23, 2012 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wivvy
GrandCnut
GrandCnut


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 10928

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the f2 was fuel injected. If you have the twin headlights and twin air intakes, it's the FI model. (but I'm no Honda expert)

The twin seat was standard on the CBR600s model. Perhaps the seat unit is a straight swap?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, yeah, it's defo fuel injected as it has the PGM-FI sticker... It does have twin headlights and twin air intakes. So does that mean its an F4i?
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 2645
Location: Lost in Space

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess would be the F4 as the F3 has the jellymould top fairing
_________________
The Resident Forum Ghost
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you've not got the V5C yet? Should say in that... failing that... call a Honda dealer like Dobles and run the VIN number by them.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Matty
Cant keep it up!
Cant keep it up!


Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Posts: 3547
Location: Peacehaven, somewhere between the mad house and my bike!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did indeed have fuel injection and came in two flavors: CBR600F & CBR600FS which was a sport version made for racing homolgation Speccy

you have the CBR600F4i Very Happy

Google is your friend Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBR600F4i
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much! Smile
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1269
Location: Pound Hill Crawley, West Sussex

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What bike is this? Reply with quote

tphillips wrote:
Hi all,

Ok, I have a somewhat strange question that will probably make me look rather stupid Smile. I recently bought a 2002 plate CBR 600F that was imported from Germany in 2008. It's the banana seat PGM FI. The sprocket says 45 on it.

My question is this; what exactly have I bought? Is it a CBR600F-2 or a CBR600F4i? It does not say f4i on it, but sometimes I read of the 600f-2 being a late 90s bike? The manual just says CBR 600F.

While I'm at it, does anyone know if it is possible to get a seat replacement with 2 parts? I think they look better. I guess I need to know the exact model number before that can be answered Wink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tristanphillips/6982532208/

Thanks Smile

Tris

Hi Tristan, you have a F2 model which stands for a 2002 model Year, why do I say that? We had 2, PoshBird (my wife) owned one just like it only in full dark blue color and I had a 2004 F4 model Red and Silver.
Also in paralel to the CBR600F2 there was the CBR600FS2 (last year that is was produced before the cbr600 RR was introduced) which was the sport version with twin seats like the one DJ Sharky and also FireCracker also owned.
The seats can be easly fould on fleabay, and the seats are interchangeble between the 02, 03 and 04 models, why do I know? I also had to change mine as my F4 was previously onwed by a girl and she had the seat lowered to fit her hight.

I hope I have helped!
cheers,
Cleber.
_________________
The road to success is always under construction.
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits He's lost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! However, I now have 2 opposing opinions Sad
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motorbikespecs.net/index.dyn?flag=2&model_id=5833967&make=Honda
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! Smile

Thanks again all... You see why it was confusing me so much Smile
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, its a CBR 600 F2, the giveaway was the number of teeth on the sprocket. The F4i had an increased count of 46.

From the wiki link above:

To increase the bike's pulling capabilities at high speeds, 5th and 6th gears have been shortened slightly and the rear sprocket was enlarged from 45 teeth to 46

I think I'm convinced now Wink Thanks all!!
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting 90's hits for the F2 model though, which is finding it quite hard to find the right parts.... @summerman Any chance of a link to a split seat I can buy?
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not taking pillions, what about a seat cowl?
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool Smile Got a link?
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyramid Plastics

http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_29_576&osCsid=b15d2576571341e8a4416d920464fb9f

or on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CBR600F-1999-2007-Gloss-White-Solo-Seat-Cowl-/180889648613?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a1ddcfde5

(this is not an endorsement of their product btw, I've used pyramid before and been happy with their products though)
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Biggus Thumbs up
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1269
Location: Pound Hill Crawley, West Sussex

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tphillips wrote:
I'm still getting 90's hits for the F2 model though, which is finding it quite hard to find the right parts.... @summerman Any chance of a link to a split seat I can buy?

I'm not sure you can do that, but if you could I believe you'd have the replace the whole rear end of the bike, fearings I mean, I'm not sure if the read frame is the same for boht F's and F Sport....

get an RR instead, its a lot of more fun than the F's...lol

good luck finding the new seat.
Cheers.
_________________
The road to success is always under construction.
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits He's lost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the shape of the nearest model with the 2 part seat, that's the "F-SPORT", it looks likely that the rear subframe is different, along with the plastic rear cowl/fairing, needless to say i bet the lights and wiring loom etc are different too, so it would be quite a task to put the F-SPORT rear on an F.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops summerman said moreorless the same as me Laughing
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys lost me Sad @summerman I thought you replaced the seats before? @Biggus, is the cowl still an option? (sorry!)
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tphillips wrote:
You guys lost me Sad @summerman I thought you replaced the seats before? @Biggus, is the cowl still an option? (sorry!)


yes cowl an option as per my previous post....

biggus wrote:
Pyramid Plastics

http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_29_576&osCsid=b15d2576571341e8a4416d920464fb9f

or on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CBR600F-1999-2007-Gloss-White-Solo-Seat-Cowl-/180889648613?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a1ddcfde5

(this is not an endorsement of their product btw, I've used pyramid before and been happy with their products though)


the Cowl covers the rear part of the seat. Pyramid are not the only company that make them, try ermax also...
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1269
Location: Pound Hill Crawley, West Sussex

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tphillips wrote:
You guys lost me Sad @summerman I thought you replaced the seats before? @Biggus, is the cowl still an option? (sorry!)


Yes I did for something like that:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR600F1-F3-2001-2003-USED-SEAT-/320853857009?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4ab46152f1

My F4 was a single seater!!! but Biggus suggestion looks pretty good Smile
_________________
The road to success is always under construction.
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits He's lost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Looks like colour match is not possible Sad
_________________
Tris
http://www.homeautom8.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the colour....

but it slips over the seat thus... (remove seat, fit cowl, refit seat, job done)


_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group