BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

skinny wobbler Sunday 24th June
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkinnyHulk wrote:
JimBo wrote:
biggus wrote:
Oh FFS Sad

Funnily enough that is exactly what I said to myself when I saw it for the first time!

I saw the 50 and thought fuck this, and stuck at 60, gonna get my hack saw out sometime

Does really need something at that turning at the bottom though, seen so many smack ups there over the years.

BTW... Like the way that Google Maps put "mobile homes" rather than "pikey camp" on the bottom of Polhill Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
SkinnyHulk wrote:
JimBo wrote:
biggus wrote:
Oh FFS Sad

Funnily enough that is exactly what I said to myself when I saw it for the first time!

I saw the 50 and thought fuck this, and stuck at 60, gonna get my hack saw out sometime

Does really need something at that turning at the bottom though, seen so many smack ups there over the years.

BTW... Like the way that Google Maps put "mobile homes" rather than "pikey camp" on the bottom of Polhill Laughing

that turning at the bottom they have put two traffic islands which IMO has made the road even fucking worse, whereas before people turning right had plenty of time to move over and get in position, now they block the road with a pinch point and if many cars want to get over it becomes silly.
As for the smack ups at the bottom of the road the problem still hasn't been solved as there was another minor one on Saturday, and yet they left the bit outside polhill garden centre a 60. crazy mo-fo's. it hasn't help that many moons ago most of that road coming down was dual carriageway, but because the bank was eroding they made it single.
oh and the reason it changed was because of the lycra louts getting scared by cars. http://cds.sevenoaks.gov.uk/documents/s1967/Item%2008%20-%20A224%20Polhill%20and%20London%20Road.pdf

[/url]
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkinnyHulk wrote:
oh and the reason it changed was because of the lycra louts getting scared by cars.

I hope you're winding me up here Matt!

Personally I don't have any problem going down Polhill on my bicycle as I generally come up behind some numpty doing 30, then slamming their brakes on to 20 because they can't see round the "tight" bend at the bottom.

Going up is a very different story. The gradient slows cyclists down considerably, and the curve near the top "hides" them from view until very late. But actually it wouldn't matter to me being hit at 40, 50, 60mph or more as it would probably kill me no matter what speed they were doing.

The whole thing became a problem years ago when the bank slipped and they singled out the uphill northbound carriageway leaving no room to overtake. That should have been a temporary measure but, of course, here we are years and years later with it still in place.

I now prefer to go up Star Hill or even the old Polhill which is now a bridleway and comes out at the Polhill Arms as was.

As I said at lunch on Sunday, as soon as you start prescribing seperation of different traffic types then you leave us all wide open to interpretation. I don't think motorcyclist should be mixed with HGVs because they are so much more vulnerable (see what I did there?).

Peace
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when the M25 was just Godstone to Sevenoaks and we'd crawl up Polhill for 45-50 minutes in the car. old

Needs to be one lane up, one down, barrier down the middle because people in cars/on motorcycles just ignore solid whites, and it needs up/down cycle lanes.

The trouble with pedal cyclists is their "progress" varies even more than other single type of road user. Down Polhill, an enthusiastically ridden pedal cycle could easily top the 50mph limit, but also as likely, is someone rubbing the brakes all the way down at 10mph, no other road user type shows such performance variation.

FWIW, I have seen far too many motorcyclists/car drivers/& cyclists creamed on that road over the years. IMHO get rid of the Pilgrims way junction and put all that traffic down to the roundabout, left & left.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
IMHO get rid of the Pilgrims way junction and put all that traffic down to the roundabout, left & left.

Now that's a very good idea Exclamation You're not as stupid as you look are you Dunc Laughing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Events & runs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: