BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: ABS Reply with quote

There's apparently a 37% lower risk of having a motorcycle fatal crash if your bike has ABS.

Is this because ABS is good and saves certain situations?

or

Is it because those who choose to purchase a motorcycle fitted with ABS are more safety concious riders and perhaps ride more conservatively?

discuss Razz

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote the latter, for several reasons
1.Most motorcycles that come with ABS cost more therefore on average the age range of the motorcyclist will be higher
2. A more safety conscientious rider would be more likely to purchase a bike with ABS
3. The squids who ride expensive bikes without ABS typically bought the bike second hand
3.5. Said squids may not maintain brakes on non-abs bikes adequately
4.In general the type of bike that comes with ABS until recently hasn't been your typical GSXR, R1 CBR1000 etc
5. What type of ABS are the stats derided from, for example BMW ABS= dogs bollocks, whereas old suzuki and honda ABS = dogs arse,
6. The typical motorcycles with ABS are not sports bikes or mopeds which account for a greater number of accidents http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/04/guide-to-the-2012-motorcycles-and-scooters-with-abs.html

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/04/iihs-study-motorcycles-with-antilock-brakes-are-much-safer.html

[/url]
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many ZZR1400 ABS owners do you know who ride conservatively? Laughing

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the older generation that go for ABS, hence they are less likely to crash. You could start to rely on it when one day it stops working and down you go, or switch to a second bike that doesn't have it & lock wheels. I have never tried a bike with ABS and I hope I never will, it's bad enough having to put up with it in cars.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
How many ZZR1400 ABS owners do you know who ride conservatively? Laughing

All of them Wink Smile Hide behind sofa

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flintstone wrote:
It's probably the older generation that go for ABS, hence they are less likely to crash. You could start to rely on it when one day it stops working and down you go, or switch to a second bike that doesn't have it & lock wheels. I have never tried a bike with ABS and I hope I never will, it's bad enough having to put up with it in cars.

My Pan has it and you really don't know it's there; I've probably had it kick in briefly once or twice in 30,000 odd miles. I certainly wouldn't avoid buying a bike with it, although it's not a big selling point to me.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkinnyHulk wrote:
5. What type of ABS are the stats derided from, for example BMW ABS= dogs bollocks, whereas old suzuki and honda ABS = dogs arse,

Agree with pretty much all you say bar the bit about old Honda ABS; the system on the Pan with the combined braking system is excellent to haul up half a tonne of rider, pillion & luggage it needs to be!!

In my experience the ABS chatter is a sign you've got it wrong...and I doubt anyone relies on it as such because it's kicking in is usually indicative of rider error.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it's a combination of the two. ABS technology is improving for motorcycles and becoming less intrusive, but as biggus says, a good ABS system will only kick in if you have made an error and are braking too hard. I had ABS on the Bandit and only had it engage once, on a wet, slippery ferry slip road. It did its job but felt horribly intrusive.

I don't know how sports bike riders feel about ABS, and whether they would want it kicking in on a track day?

As the technology becomes more prevalent, cheaper and more reliable I'm sure we'll be seeing it made compulsory for bikes as it is for cars. I'm sure I've seen this link already posted on the forum. http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/mandatory-abs-set-for-motorcycles/18510.html
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flintstone wrote:

So you got ABS then? Laughing behind hand
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I crashed by BMW K1200RS three years ago I think I could have avoided the collision by braking harder, the bike had ABS but I was reluctant to brake and lose the front end, which wouldnt have happened with the ABS.
How many of us would actually use it in the dry.
I think its for night time, wet road, slippery conditions that catch you out at lower braking forces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: