BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your thoughts on this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Bits and snips..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay1
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: What are your thoughts on this. Reply with quote

Just wanted to see what people thought of this idea as I'd never heard of it before and we had a guy come in to work to tell us about it recently.

The idea behind it seems to be that it is completely free of charge to Bikers and will be fitted when MOT/Service etc are carried out, by dealers who are signed up to the sceme.

It looks an interesting idea and I can see positives and negatives to it, but wanted to get the thoughts of other riders as to what they see as the fors and againsts are, and also whether it would be something you would have fitted.

http://bipsosbike.com/index.html
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, it is in essence an Automated ambulance chasing service, that said, I ride a lot, alone and late at night, so I would consider one... My bikes are generally not dealer serviced though, be interested to read the small print when I have a few minutes to spare,

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Interesting idea, it is in essence an Automated ambulance chasing service, that said, I ride a lot, alone and late at night, so I would consider one... My bikes are generally not dealer serviced though, be interested to read the small print when I have a few minutes to spare,

Seems like a good idea - riding alone and ending up in a ditch without being able to draw attention is a worry. However this device will almost certainly rely on GPS Tracking and therefore is quite likely be logging all aspects of your riding behavior - good, bad or slightly naughty Laughing

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
biggus wrote:

Seems like a good idea - riding alone and ending up in a ditch without being able to draw attention is a worry. However this device will almost certainly rely on GPS Tracking and therefore is quite likely be logging all aspects of your riding behavior - good, bad or slightly naughty Laughing

According to their website

Quote:
It is a crash detector that becomes live after 7mph and only tracks you if you have an accident not before, so in short we don't track your speed!

I wonder what the trigger(s) is/are? Sudden deceleration? Shock?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jay1
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely no doubt about it that there is an ambulance chasing element, which is why it has been pitched to us as a Claimant law firm. I'm still trying to decide myself whether, from a purely rider point of view, it's good or not.

The obvious positives have been stated (alone in a ditch) but I forsee potential negatives so far as who deals with repairs, hire etc, and who will be liable for those costs, in fault accidents.

So far as the tech goes, as I understand it, it doesn't constantly track so there is no speed logging etc, it is triggered by sudden deceleration (from above 7mph) and excessive lean angle from which a recovery couldn't be made. I'm guessing it's an accelerometer device that then triggers the GPS when needed.

One other thing that bugs me about it, what about track days? Will it automatically send out the cavalry if you stuff it in a gravel trap???

I don't think it's something that we are going to be commiting to, but I was interested to get other riders thoughts on it as I'm the only person here who has ever ridden a bike.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1 wrote:
There is absolutely no doubt about it that there is an ambulance chasing element, which is why it has been pitched to us as a Claimant law firm.

Thought as much, my fear with anything like this is having control of who carries out repairs to my bike removed from me. In short there are few I trust to work on my bikes.

Be interested to see the uber small print at some point... From a purely piece of mind point of view, it would be a nice thing to have as per the "in a ditch" scenario.

I'm guessing this is something that would cost the dealers/insurance companies to buy/fit as well??

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Jay1
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that control over the repairs would definately be one of the draw backs, as the reason the dealers don't charge to fit it is that they get the repairs if the worst were to happen. I'm not 100% on this, but it's definately the impression I get.

The cost of the units themselves, again this is an educated guess, is met by solicitors who subscribe to the scheme in part, and the rest from money made from kick backs that are likely to be received from bike hire providers, recovery companies and maybe the repairer themselves.

Like you, in principal, the GPS emergency side of things seems to be an excellent idea, but there are other considerations to it. I suppose the question is, if you would like something of this nature on your bike would you rather pay a subscription/fitting fee for it, or get the whole thing for free but with the tie ins to certain recovery companies/repairers/solicitors?
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1 wrote:
I suppose the question is, if you would like something of this nature on your bike would you rather pay a subscription/fitting fee for it, or get the whole thing for free but with the tie ins to certain recovery companies/repairers/solicitors?

I would prefer a no tie-in subscription service personally.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-19635910

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-19635910

Very good case in point...!!

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Bits and snips.. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: