BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humbled....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Humbled.... Reply with quote

By the athletes in the Paralympic swimming that I attended today. Humbled and inspired. To take part was an achievement for all, a medal will be a bonus.

I was a sceptic when we won the 2012 Games, not anymore! Ignore all the hype, ceremonials, bureaucracy, traffic management etc etc. When it comes down to it it’s about the competitors, and these competitors deserve every bit of the tumultuous applause they received.

I am so glad I went. My aches and pains are nothing compared to what these wonderful people overcome every day.

AMAZING!
megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said JimBo
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear

I have three lots of tickets and can't wait to go and watch; equestrian, athletics and road racing Cool

Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V wrote:
Hear hear
Shocked Did she really say that?

and to Jimbo of all people Laughing

Really looking forward to the Athletics spint finals next Thursday.... Worth coming home from Switzerland for Cool

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching the blind javelin javelin(not joking either)

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pissed myself that George Osbourn got booed rolling on the floor laughing cnut Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrespective of whether he deserves it or not I don't think it was the right time or place to voice a political opinion.
It was a time for the athletes and they should have been allowed glory in it.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
Irrespective of whether he deserves it or not I don't think it was the right time or place to voice a political opinion.
It was a time for the athletes and they should have been allowed glory in it.

Quite, then don't have politicians dishing out medals then!

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

Agreed, but the athletes didn't choose him so why spoil their moment?
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
biggus wrote:

Agreed, but the athletes didn't choose him so why spoil their moment?

I agree, but the boo's were surely less to do directly with Osbourne directly and more to do with the controversy of having Atos as a sponsor of the games, the firm who's "fitness to work" testing has caused much distress and upset to the disabled/less able.

Having someone instrumental in such decision making that's violated the dignity of disabled persons being part of presenting medals at the paralympics was wrong in my opinion. Peace

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

Having someone instrumental in such decision making that's violated the dignity of disabled persons being part of presenting medals at the paralympics was wrong in my opinion. Peace

"Violated the dignity" surely they are just looking after the interests of taxpayers by ensuring that people are genuinely disabled and not just benefit cheats, thereby having enough resources to be able to continue to support the disabled.

Fortunately this government has been a bit more realistic on this subject and has decided it needs closer scrutiny. I cannot see why any disabled person should object to that?

I can think of one person of my acquaintance who probably could work but doesn't and is in receipt of these benefits - and they are substantial - he even gets a Motobility car in lieu of the Mobilty allowance and of course gets a mobilty park anywhere blue badge.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
biggus wrote:

"Violated the dignity" surely they are just looking after the interests of taxpayers by ensuring that people are genuinely disabled and not just benefit cheats, thereby having enough resources to be able to continue to support the disabled.

Fortunately this government has been a bit more realistic on this subject and has decided it needs closer scrutiny. I cannot see why any disabled person should object to that?

I can think of one person of my acquaintance who probably could work but doesn't and is in receipt of these benefits - and they are substantial - he even gets a Motobility car in lieu of the Mobilty allowance and of course gets a mobilty park anywhere blue badge.

+1

Have to agree wholeheartedly with you there Bob. Unfortunately, like you I know of people who claim benefits and IMO have no moral or legal right to do so.
Whilst trying to politicise the Paralympics by sending George Osborne (or any politician for that matter) to present medals is entirely inappropriate there is nothing wrong with identifying the lazy scrounging fuckers and separating them from those with a valid and warranted claim.

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
biggus wrote:

I agree the principle is sound, just the application of it on occasion is perhaps too draconian and downright insensitive. I know personally one person who had the most awful experience at the hands of Atos.

Like all these things,... 2 sides of course. Labour were far too huggy huggy with scroungers that's for sure. Peace

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I'm watching the blind javelin (not joking either)

Today in fact. Nice day for it too. Smile Cool

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
biggus wrote:

If I was an official for it I would let out a blood curdling scream a few seconds after they launched it, just for a laugh like Laughing .
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
biggus wrote:
biggus wrote:

If I was an official for it I would let out a blood curdling scream a few seconds after they launched it, just for a laugh like Laughing .

Twisted Evil

like that official in Germany who got it in the neck Shocked

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: