BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a new battery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Do I need a new battery? Reply with quote

I'm asking on here as I'm not sure if I have been built-shitted by a salesman....

I've been using my cbf1000 to commute to and from work (about 10 miles each way) on Friday my bike just wouldn't start. I spoke to a sales bod about the 3 month warranty on used bikes they sell to see if any problem this might be would be fixed foc by them (new battery if needed).

I was told that it takes about 20 miles to replace the charge in a battery and this is why my battery slowly went flat over a few weeks.

I've recharged my battery and checked that the recharging system on the bike works (current runs at 14v with the engine ticking over and rises to about 14.5 when I rev the engine).

So..... Have I been bullshitted or is this a likely explanation?

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I think you already suspect - you've been bullshitted.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You been mugged off .... I use a bike to work sometimes for a week and its only 3 miles .... Battery perfectly OK
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullshit indeed. It takes nowhere near 20 mile to put back in what you used starting it. Probably no more than a mile.

However I doubt you will get anywhere with a warranty claim as most warranties specifically exclude the battery as it is a consumable.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....

I suppose if it smells like bullshit... And tastes like Bullshit then it must be Bullshit.

Saying that. I've recharged the battery and left it on the trickle charge / maintenance cycle for a couple of days now. I've checked the battery level after taking it off the charger today and its reading 13v which according to Haynes is correct.

I've also checked that the voltage increases to 14v with the engine running and that it increases further to about 14.5v when I rev the engine so the recharging system seems to be ok.

Now I just have to see if the battery maintains its charge through out this week.

At the minute its looking as though there is no problem despite the bullshit I got from DOBLES but I'm still gonna be keeping a very close eye on it.

Simon Smith
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at work this coming week, but if you pop the battery in to work the following week I will stick the discharge meter on it. We get a lot of batteries that read good voltage wise, but the instant you put a load on them they fail.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollox!! Fuck!!! Bastard!! Twat !!!!!!!!

Went to the bike this morning and after 24hours off the charge its lost about .25 of a volt down to 12.74v from 13v. There is no alarm or heated grips to drain it and the weather is warm and I know that does make a difference.

Reading up in the Haynes book of lies a battery is supposed to loose its charge at a rate of about 1% per day. Doing my sums this one is loosing its charge at a rate of 2% so it is on its way out.

Did the sneaky thing and called the Dobles Service centre asking if its a new battery I needed and explained all that I have found in the posts above and was told it sounded as if it was the battery on its way out and the other electrics sounded ok.

I thanks them then called the showroom this time speaking to Paul who sold me the bikes. He said the battery wasn't covered in the 3 month guarantee but he would arrange for one to be sold to me at cost.

So now I'm gonna shop around to see if I can get a battery at a decent price.

The Moral of a story - NEVER BELIEVE A SALES GUY WHEN ITS LIKELY TO COST THEM SOMETHING

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"some say" that bike batteries last only for a year or 18 months. Which is generally bollocks if you ride regularly or keep them on a maintainence charger (2 years with an alarm) 3 years without in my experience should be minimums. My Pan battery is at least 6 years old and still starts on the button, and that was also laid up for a year too...

Like all things some batteries are better than others when they are made... They are considered a wear & tear item, and there's no sure way of a garage being able to guaruntee a battery on a used bike unless they replace it as part of the sales deal.

Shorter journeys are less good for batteries, there used to be a rule of thumb in the car world when I was in the motah trade that 5 seconds of starter motor took 20 mins of driving to replensish, however, I've never done any sums to prove that... it is however true that short journeys won't do a battery any favours, whatever the actual "figures" are.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the few things Hein Gerike had left in Stockwell was batteries. If funds are tight then it might be worth a visit to a few branches - you never know you might be lucky.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want a battery that lasts properly buy a Yuasa trust me it's worth the extra spennies never had one fail on me unlike many other brands..
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an MF battery on the VTR 4 years ago, it still starts in now after a month or so of being idle. No chargers or anything like that. It was 36 quid from an independant bike shop. Mac Motors in Tooting. Yuasa batt on the Dylan lasted 18 months. Maybe I've been lucky with the MF and unlucky with the Yuasa. The "original equipment" battery was over 65 notes. A lot of sheckles evry 18 months.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: