BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Google maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Custom Google maps Reply with quote

I don't have massive knowledge of the South East (unlike some on this forum) and invariably when I plan a route I run into loads of 30 and 40 speed limits. I tried searching for a map which also shows speed limits but didn't come up with anything useful Sad

What I'd like is, say, a colour coded map which shows speed limits. Anyone know of any maps like this on the net?

Alternatively, anyone know how to go about creating a custom map in Google or the like, whereby people can highlight specific roads and add speed limits, as well as any other comments (FX, "nice road" or "frequent speed cameras" etc)? I tried Google MapMaker but it isn't yet supported in the UK for some reason.

As a collaborative project amongst bikers and motorcyclists (see what I did there?), is there any value in this?
SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program that can help with this, when I'm at my computer I shall find the name (we use it for routeplanning walks and avoiding certain limits).
The only minor issue I have with making these sort of things public access is that its like saying to the plod, we love this NSL road now make it a 20 mph with speed cameras. But I can see about setting up one for the box lot here to edit and change

[/url]
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSLs will soon be confined to single track roads with shite surfaces, high hedges etc.

The information must be there somewhere since TomTom etc knows when you're in a 30/40/50 etc limit, although this is not always 100%

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this btw....

http://www.routino.org/uk/customvisualiser.cgi?lat=51.144735863148;lon=-0.3605327675386;zoom=14

click "display speed limits"

& also this....

http://www.itoworld.com/map/124

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I see your point Skinny.

Biggus, cheers for the links. I'd found the ITO map before but not the Routino one.

Will be nice when/if Google release MapMaker over here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Nerdsville All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: