BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scotland. 21st - 30th June 2013.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make it at all, went down with a virus the day before departure.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Everyone was OK, Problem with dodgy Italian electrics ... Wink
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waki sympathy Arrrghh!

Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back.

OH THE ROADS,

I want a week off the bike!!

GREAT TRIP, THANKS WAKI
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waki will now do a full road test review of the Kawasaki Versys 1000
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time a biker called Waki thought it would be fun to ride, with some friends, to a distant land called Scotland. Plans were made, hotels booked, and they all looked forward to heading North. Little did they know what lay ahead.............. Shocked
This is Waki's story. Smile

Even before 'D' day slight changes to Scatty's plans meant changes to the overnight stop over as Nuclear Red would bring daughter Alice along for the first few days. However, things took a turn for the worse on the day of departure. Tango, who'd been really looking forward to the trip, took a turn for the worse himself the night before and was too ill to travel Crying or Very sad Gutted for him and one down before the start. Then BanditBaby called to say she would have to catch up at Durham later as things needed sorting. So, not the best of starts. Sad But got the show on the road and met up with NR and Alice at South Mimms for the ride to Durham and the overnight stop.
Arrived late afternoon before NR headed off to his hotel. BB finally joined me in Durham at mid-night after her solo ride up.
Saturday morning we re-grouped for the ride up the A68 and onto the border.

Had a good ride up, with plenty of fuel stops Rolling Eyes finally reaching the cottage in Ballachulish around 5 o'clock. Bikes were unpacked, cottage checked out and rooms sorted. Then popped down to the shop for some food , milk and such before changing and heading out to the local pub for diner. However.......on leaving the cottage BB slipped on the damp decking and fell heavily on her back. Shocked But, in a far bit of pain, still came with us to the pub. And we had a pleasant evening with the locals and the food was good.
Sunday dawned very wet but we decided to head out and go to Aviemore. The road there, the A86, was made for the Tuono with it's twists and turns and long straights, and, more importantly, a petrol station at each end !! Very Happy Had probably the best ride ever on the Aprilia despite the weather. The four of us went to the ski station and took the train to the top where we could see.....absolutely nothing of the view !! Sad So we had lunch before heading back along the brilliant 86. It was on the return run that the Tuono began to miss-fire on closed throttle, which got worse as we neared base. On getting back we stopped at the CO-OP for food and the bike refused to start, battery totally flat. Not good, but no panic. Get it back to the cottage and check it out. So NR and BB rode back while I began the long push uphill, John saying he would then walk back to help. When he returned he told me that BB's bike had fallen over after the stand had sunk in the soft drive way, and would need picking up. Shocked So we now had a broken down bike and a broken bike when we discovered the fall had damaged the mirror, indicator and lever on BB's Suzuki. Great !! But we thought things through and decided to fix Tuono buy re charging battery to get it started then check if it was charging itself. If not, then rent a bike for a few days to keep me mobile. And then find dealer to get bits to fix the Suzuki.
So, first thing Monday, NR headed off to Fort William to buy a charger while I stripped down the T. Then once battery was charged we fired her up only to find alternator was fu'ked, so straight to plan 'B'. Found Suzi dealer in Edinburgh for the spares and a Kawasaki dealer Very Happy in Kirkcaldy for hire bike. With me as pillion on NR's Beemer, we set off, leaving Alice to take the bus into Fort William. Dropped BB off to get her bike fixed first of all. She then decided to stay in Edinburgh to get her back checked out. John and I then rode North across the Forth Road Bridge to Kirkcaldy to pick up my bike, a Versys 1000. Ronnie Martin at the dealer was a top bloke and really helpful, offering me an extra, discounted, days hire if I wanted it.
The ride back to Glencoe from there was fantastic, miles of car free twisty roads running beside Loch Earn with me totally at home on the big adventure bike. Cool And finished off with the sun lighting up Glen Coe as we rode through. Amazing !!
Tuesday began with NR taking Alice to Glasgow Airport and to collect Scatty. So I headed out on the Versys....

And found some great roads.....

And great views....

After a long day on the bike I returned to base to meet up with Scatty and NR, but no sign of BB Shocked Try as we did, we were unable to contact her, which was worrying, but thought she may be staying an extra night in Edinburgh......we then went down the pub. Wink
With still no news from BB come Wednesday morning, Scatty phoned around trying to trace her. Jeanette called the Suzi dealer, local hospitals to see if she'd been in for her check up, and then, getting concerned, the police, asking then to keep a look out for her. With no more to do the three of us headed off to Tobermory on the Isle of Mull.

Trip included four ferry crossings and we had a fantastic day out. We also heard from BB that her phone ran flat along with other problems, but she would be back that evening..........finally arriving at 10.30 tired but in one piece. Smile
Thursday morning.....rain. Rolling Eyes So myself John and Jeanette went into Fort William on the coach, BB deciding to rest up at the cottage and saying that she planned to head home Friday for a steady ride, her back stopping her from riding the pace and distance that the rest of us could. Fair enough, but on our return from FW we found BB had packed and gone. Rolling Eyes Pity.
So, with me having to return the Versys the next day, and NR and Scatty visiting relatives on the way home, we decided to head back a day earlier. The Tuono had been checked over by the AA, was not repairable for the ride home, so had been collected and was already heading South.
Friday....a day early but we were clearing up and packing up to leave Crying or Very sad After NR and Scatty had left, I loaded up the big Kawa, locked up our home for the past week and headed off to Kirkcaldy. Once there, Ronnie sorted out the bike, checked out the train connections to get me home before running me to the station. As I said before, top bloke. Smile Train ride took me over the Forth Rail Bridge with a view of the car bridge along side.

Started the journey at 2.30, missed the first train to London, but home by 10.50....knacked !

A very eventful trip Rolling Eyes had a few problems, but had a great time. Probably made better due to the bike change. Met some friendly people and some great company and look forward to going back. Kneedown

One final sting in the tail.......found damage on the Tuono caused during transit. This now needs to be sorted. Twisted Evil Think i'm now officially pissed off !! Sad
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAKI GOES BITCH Need Pics!

Great write up and you are certainly going to remember that holiday Wink

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report of an eventful trip Waki Shocked .

Hope you're feeling better Tango and Bandit Baby!.

Good luck with the Tuono Waki, not the best motorcycle experience you've ever had.
I'm looking seriously at the Tuono V4 but maybe I should look really seriously!
ScattyMare
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a really good trip Waki, and when i can remember how to upload photos I shall post some too.

BUT I NEVER,EVER,EVER want to ride pillion for 330miles in one day again!

Great to see my brother in his new home, looks really happy and healthy.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScattyMare wrote:

BUT I NEVER,EVER,EVER want to ride pillion for 330miles in one day again!

Probably more of an indictment of the UK motorways than anything else....

Did 355mile from Lauterbrunnen to Reims on the GS with Madam..... Took four hours and we both arrived fresh as a daisy in time for lunch Wink

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right.

As soon as we got on the M6 at Kendal it was just columns of aggressive traffic.

The A1M is a much better North-South motorcycling route.

We did cut across country via Daventry-Banbury then High Wycombe-Staines but I had really had enough by the time we got home.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Red wrote:
The A1M is a much better North-South motorcycling route.

Shame most of the roundabouts have gone now!

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails.......go down the pub. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: