BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage please
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage please Reply with quote

Ive just taken a job in Henley, so my commute will be around the 40-45 mile each way mark every day. I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of transport and am considering trading in the new FZ8 for something that'll do 20k miles a year with ease.

Things to consider are:

*Maintenance and servicing costs
*Reliability at high mileage
*Tyre wear
*MPG
*Excellent weather protection
*Comfort (I'd prefer an upright riding position)

Can any owners of big tourers please let me know your experience of the bike regarding the above points. I'm looking at Pans, FJRs, GTRs, GS etc. Any input much appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say, after moving away from the CBF1000 last year to the CB1300, I moved back to the CBF1000 this year.

It is after all a considered by some to be a tourer and with the half fairing it has a surprising amount of shelter and comfort with an upright riding position it ticks all the boxes you listed (and more). Its not as "exciting" as some other bikes but its easy to maintain yourself, cheap enough to run, reliable as hell and now that Haynes have a manual out for it servicing it yourself isn't expensive either.

With circa 100bhp and a top speed of 144 mph it has the low end grunt that comes in handy when commuting and handles really well in slow control (filtering and the like).

The only issue the CBFs have ever had has been the stator which Honda has now admitted has a design fault. So (as per Dobles) Honda now allow a 7 year warranty on all of the original design stators and they will fit a new design stator FOC should the old design stator commit suicide within 7 years of first registration. However, that doest extend the warranty on any other element of the bike.

Tyres are easy to come by (lots of alternatives) and as with all tyres, wear & tear depends on your riding. AS the bike has been around for a few years, there are lots of aftermarket luggage, exhaust and other extras that will fit perfectly.

The Mark 1's (pre 2010) can be picked up pretty cheaply too. The Mark II's don't have the Haynes manual yet and most people (me included) prefer the mark 1s

I get about 160 miles between tank refills at about 10 miles per litre. That still leaves me about 3 litres (30 milkes) of reserve before I run out.
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
Ive just taken a job in Henley, so my commute will be around the 40-45 mile each way mark every day. I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of transport and am considering trading in the new FZ8 for something that'll do 20k miles a year with ease.

Things to consider are:

*Maintenance and servicing costs
*Reliability at high mileage
*Tyre wear
*MPG
*Excellent weather protection
*Comfort (I'd prefer an upright riding position)

Can any owners of big tourers please let me know your experience of the bike regarding the above points. I'm looking at Pans, FJRs, GTRs, GS etc. Any input much appreciated.


Run your FZ8 into the ground and get your monies worth out of it. Sell now and you'll surely just lose money?
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3


Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Posts: 14655

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan European

I did a total in excess of 120,000 miles on my two

Comfort
Shaft drive
Weather protection
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fz has no fairing which makes it uncomfortable on the motorway, plus it only has a tank range of around 110-120 miles before reserve...I'd be at the petrol station every morning!

WD, any idea what kind of tank range and mpg you were getting out of the pan? And what kind of tyre life could I expect?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom


Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 5854
Location: Looking for a + 10 @ Rising :-0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
Ive just taken a job in Henley, so my commute will be around the 40-45 mile each way mark every day. I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of transport and am considering trading in the new FZ8 for something that'll do 20k miles a year with ease.

Things to consider are:

*Maintenance and servicing costs
*Reliability at high mileage
*Tyre wear
*MPG
*Excellent weather protection
*Comfort (I'd prefer an upright riding position)

Can any owners of big tourers please let me know your experience of the bike regarding the above points. I'm looking at Pans, FJRs, GTRs, GS etc. Any input much appreciated.


Kawasaki versys .... Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
The fz has no fairing which makes it uncomfortable on the motorway, plus it only has a tank range of around 110-120 miles before reserve...I'd be at the petrol station every morning!

WD, any idea what kind of tank range and mpg you were getting out of the pan? And what kind of tyre life could I expect?


i would say the answer coming is...." both are dependant on your riding" however i believe the pan is quite capable of 200+ on a fulll tank but remember its not your average size tank either and theres a lot of plastic around that beasty for servicing and the like.
the ST1100 is now becoming long in the tooth and a lot are begining to develop problems ...choose one carefully ( ask duncan of the nightmares that befall them)
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

Tango wrote:
nosnowking wrote:
Ive just taken a job in Henley, so my commute will be around the 40-45 mile each way mark every day. I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of transport and am considering trading in the new FZ8 for something that'll do 20k miles a year with ease.

Things to consider are:

*Maintenance and servicing costs
*Reliability at high mileage
*Tyre wear
*MPG
*Excellent weather protection
*Comfort (I'd prefer an upright riding position)

Can any owners of big tourers please let me know your experience of the bike regarding the above points. I'm looking at Pans, FJRs, GTRs, GS etc. Any input much appreciated.


Kawasaki versys .... Laughing


It's on the short list...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
The fz has no fairing which makes it uncomfortable on the motorway, plus it only has a tank range of around 110-120 miles before reserve...I'd be at the petrol station every morning!

WD, any idea what kind of tank range and mpg you were getting out of the pan? And what kind of tyre life could I expect?


Tank range on the 1100 pan is approximately 200 miles to reserve on the 25 litre tank (40+mpg) ridden semi sensibly, the non abs ones always have seemed a little more frugal on juice, no idea why... this is an observation from having ridden with other pans around uk & europe at similar pace.

Tyre life is very good, although these days options are slightly limited; the ABS/TCS pan has an 18" front wheel - I used to run Metzeller Z6 on mine & get 8000+ from a set... depending on the type of riding - I did monumentally demolish a Bridgestone BT020 rear in Switzerland - enthusiastic two up hairpins did it little favours, and I got shafted by the BMW dealer for an extortionate number of Euro's for a new rear.. . Currently I have Avon Storms on mine, they see to be wearing ok. Despite it's bulk, it won't eat rubber like say a 1250 bandit.

May be looking to sell mine in the near future, in any case you're welcome to take it for a spin to see what you think.

I'd also consider the Deauville, like a mini pan, bit lighter, and narrower if your commute involves filtering, probably better on fuel/tyres too, and if you buy one for not a lot of money you can probably punt it on a year later with 15k more miles on it for more-or-less the same money.... Ditto 1100 pan...

With both the Deauville and the pan, the exhausts are prone to rot - a. because they are mild steel, and b because they are hidden, pay a few quid more on either bike if it has a full s/s system.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to know that there's an auction of a load of ex police BMW 1200 RT's & 1 FJR coming up at Brightwells http://www.brightwells.com/Vehicles/CarAndCommercial/Catalogue.aspx#Motorbikes%20from%20the%20Police
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 11549

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I happen to know that there's an auction of a load of ex police BMW 1200 RT's & 1 FJR coming up at Brightwells http://www.brightwells.com/Vehicles/CarAndCommercial/Catalogue.aspx#Motorbikes%20from%20the%20Police


An 08 police RT with 30-40k on the clock would really tempt me..... Engine should have loosened up nicely by then Wink
_________________
Boxhill Chippendales Smile

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
biggus wrote:
I happen to know that there's an auction of a load of ex police BMW 1200 RT's & 1 FJR coming up at Brightwells http://www.brightwells.com/Vehicles/CarAndCommercial/Catalogue.aspx#Motorbikes%20from%20the%20Police


An 08 police RT with 30-40k on the clock would really tempt me..... Engine should have loosened up nicely by then Wink


and be a collection of filings and swarf in the sump Wink Laughing
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 2645
Location: Lost in Space

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:


Things to consider are:

*Maintenance and servicing costs
*Reliability at high mileage
*Tyre wear
*MPG
*Excellent weather protection
*Comfort (I'd prefer an upright riding position)



I hate to advocate it... but have you considered..... a car?
_________________
The Resident Forum Ghost
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
nosnowking wrote:


Things to consider are:

*Maintenance and servicing costs
*Reliability at high mileage
*Tyre wear
*MPG
*Excellent weather protection
*Comfort (I'd prefer an upright riding position)



I hate to advocate it... but have you considered..... a car?


Indeed the most sensible suggestion.... Very Happy I've been using the car since September and am bored now. Besides, even slightly fast cars are way more expensive to run than very fast bikes, and I'm not spending all that time locked in a Diesel Astra or a Toyota Aygo Barf Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
Loco wrote:
nosnowking wrote:


Things to consider are:

*Maintenance and servicing costs
*Reliability at high mileage
*Tyre wear
*MPG
*Excellent weather protection
*Comfort (I'd prefer an upright riding position)



I hate to advocate it... but have you considered..... a car?


Indeed the most sensible suggestion.... Very Happy I've been using the car since September and am bored now. Besides, even slightly fast cars are way more expensive to run than very fast bikes, and I'm not spending all that time locked in a Diesel Astra or a Toyota Aygo Barf Laughing


teh me laddo its a burgman 650 for you ...all bases covered
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that MrE...whilst at dobles yesterday I sat on the S-wing and the Silverwing just for a laugh, and they make a lot of sense! Shame I can't get over the stigma of riding a scooter or I'd have one!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a set of trade plates and hitch hike?
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
get a set of trade plates and hitch hike?

I always found a mini-skirt worked better Confused .
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
retryrider
Pedestrian
Pedestrian


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 20
Location: East Surrey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
Can any owners of big tourers please let me know your experience of the bike regarding the above points. I'm looking at Pans, FJRs, GTRs, GS etc. Any input much appreciated.


Haven't got any experience with the big tourers but have you had a look at the new Triumph Trophy or Tiger Explorer?

Both have the same engine, shaft drive and various comfort features.

Being Triumph I guess servicing costs may be fairly high and as they are both new bikes, not particularly tried and tested.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

retryrider wrote:
have you had a look at the new Triumph Trophy or Tiger Explorer?


I've looked at & ridden both... Drooling idiot That 1200 triple is a peach of a motor. Knocks spots off any Bavarian ditch pump I've ever sampled Hide behind sofa . I am waiting to see if they put it in something on the sportier end of the market... a 1200 sprint might just be the trick (pay attention Triumph Laughing ).

The depreciation on a brand new bike doing circa 20k miles a year (40miles each way x 20 working days per month x12) would be horrific considering the average bike mileage is something like 3,000 pa. IMHO, get an older bike, stick 20k on it, & either punt it on in 12 months, or run it into the ground.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a touring bike for high mileage plea Reply with quote

biggus wrote:


The depreciation on a brand new bike doing circa 20k miles a year (40miles each way x 20 working days per month x12) would be horrific considering the average bike mileage is something like 3,000 pa. IMHO, get an older bike, stick 20k on it, & either punt it on in 12 months, or run it into the ground.



That was why I was suggesting getting some value out of the existing bike first.
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have considered the Triumphs, even test rode the Tiger 800 but didn't fall in love with it. Besides, they're too new to consider within budget.

Bob, I see your point but I bought the FZ nearly new for a cracking price so shouldn't see too much more depreciation should I punt it in...I've only put 600 miles on it, taking the total mileage to 1500!

Biggus, I was looking at a few ST1300s with anywhere from 20-60k on the clock for around the 5,000 mark. My thinking is, new enough to be reliable, old enough to take the depreciation. I need to organise a test ride methinks...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HCMS
Slack Alice/Gay Martian
Slack Alice/Gay Martian


Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 3794
Location: Scratching head at Tusky's hairpin racing line

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C90?
_________________
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

100 Mile Cycle for Macmillan on 4th August 13. Please donate if you can!
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PeterSnell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roughie
Martini Model
Martini Model


Joined: 10 Oct 2004
Posts: 10558
Location: 175lbs down and counting

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCMS wrote:
C90?


don't be silly no weather protection it has to be the C1
_________________

[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Roughiediamond]Click Here to find Roughie on Facebook [/url]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HCMS
Slack Alice/Gay Martian
Slack Alice/Gay Martian


Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 3794
Location: Scratching head at Tusky's hairpin racing line

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughie wrote:
HCMS wrote:
C90?


don't be silly no weather protection it has to be the C1


The C90 has 2 forms of weather protection. Little white plastic bits that cover your knees, as long as you are under 5ft and the inability to go fast enough to increase windchill by over 0.2 of a degree.
_________________
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

100 Mile Cycle for Macmillan on 4th August 13. Please donate if you can!
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PeterSnell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group