BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

upgrade to windows 8 or stay with windows 7

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Nerdsville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: upgrade to windows 8 or stay with windows 7 Reply with quote

looking for a consensus.

Curently I'm running windows 7 but am thinking if upgrading to windows 8.

will it be an improvement or a waste on money?[/quote]
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
retryrider
Pedestrian
Pedestrian


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 20
Location: East Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disparately got my computer before they started shipping with Windows 8. Can't stand the new look.

If I wanted a tiles interface, I'd get a tablet instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retryrider wrote:
Disparately got my computer before they started shipping with Windows 8. Can't stand the new look.

If I wanted a tiles interface, I'd get a tablet instead.


just change the theme and file veiws to windows classic ...not totally back to what it was but a close improvement
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
retryrider
Pedestrian
Pedestrian


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 20
Location: East Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrE wrote:
retryrider wrote:
Disparately got my computer before they started shipping with Windows 8. Can't stand the new look.

If I wanted a tiles interface, I'd get a tablet instead.


just change the theme and file veiws to windows classic ...not totally back to what it was but a close improvement


Still sound like a compromise to me. Nothing wrong with the Desktop design, MS is just appealing to the masses of the iPad generation and trying to push us in an unneeded direction again.

Now where's my command prompt?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retryrider wrote:
MrE wrote:
retryrider wrote:
Disparately got my computer before they started shipping with Windows 8. Can't stand the new look.

If I wanted a tiles interface, I'd get a tablet instead.


just change the theme and file veiws to windows classic ...not totally back to what it was but a close improvement


Still sound like a compromise to me. Nothing wrong with the Desktop design, MS is just appealing to the masses of the iPad generation and trying to push us in an unneeded direction again.

Now where's my command prompt?


click start and in the search bar at the bottom type cmd
Wink
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retryrider wrote:
Now where's my command prompt?

It's only a REAL command prompt if it's green text on an almost black background Laughing

I still use XP and find it does all that I want. I certainly think all software suppliers needlessly change things sometimes.
We've just had an "upgrade" on the software we use at work. It's slower and not as intuitive, so a real improvement there then Rolling Eyes
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
retryrider
Pedestrian
Pedestrian


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 20
Location: East Surrey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:

We've just had an "upgrade" on the software we use at work. It's slower and not as intuitive, so a real improvement there then Rolling Eyes


Yep, either that or the upgrade needs 10 times the CPU and memory to do the same thing that the old verion did.

How much HDD space does Windows 8 need now, 100GB? My Vista Side-By-Side directory I think is up to 30GB now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retryrider wrote:
If I wanted a tiles interface


The only appropriate place for a tiles interface is here -->> strain
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[rant]Unfortunately... Steve Jobs/Bill Gates, are dual-handedly responsible for making computing power accesible to the masses. What this means is, in the interests of creating a fluffy GUI for the otherwise Technologically inept they are engineering out the computing from operating systems & hardware. Ulimately, all 99.999999999% of PC/Mac users do is write emails, watch youtube, view porn, Tweet, go on Failbook, or forums, edit the odd picture, and that's just about it...

Windows XP, & Even 98 could cope with that... I fall into the 0.000000001% who use a computer for technical purposes... such as programming and process control applications. In the past 5 years, I've seen Serial ports disapppear from hardware, support of reliable DOS applications stripped back in the pursuit of the poncy pounds of the mass market. The work I do is related to manufacturing and it's a constant battle to keep our software compatible with the latest mass-consumer led whim or fashion.[/rant]

Against a brick wall
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 2645
Location: Lost in Space

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer the question (stop ranting girlies)
Windows 8 is microsofts attempt at a universal OS, designed to work on tablets,PC's, Notebooks etc (windows mobile(on pnones) is actually scaled down windows 8 os) so the answer is no you don't need it or want it, it will not be long before MS start shipping with free windows 7 downgrades (much as they did with vista/xp) personally I like windows always have, but then like biggus I use more of the shit you don't see rather than the shit you do. (Linux fanboi's need not post here)
_________________
The Resident Forum Ghost
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
to answer the question (stop ranting girlies)
Windows 8 is microsofts attempt at a universal OS, designed to work on tablets,PC's, Notebooks etc (windows mobile(on pnones) is actually scaled down windows 8 os) so the answer is no you don't need it or want it, it will not be long before MS start shipping with free windows 7 downgrades (much as they did with vista/xp) personally I like windows always have, but then like biggus I use more of the shit you don't see rather than the shit you do. (Linux fanboi's need not post here)


I knew if I waited Id get an answer Smile

Cheers Loco Smile
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Nerdsville All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group