BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for the Triumph lovers....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Question for the Triumph lovers.... Reply with quote

I know that there are a number of you on here who hold the Street Tripple in high esteem, but i wonder if anyone has any experiance of the speed four's? I know that it is basically a stripped down version of the TT600 and gets good reviews in terms of handling etc but there is often no mention of comfort....

I am begining to develop back problems recently, mainly down to working too many hours and doing two jobs in order to pay moving house and the wedding that i had previously thought of as a long way off..... Shocked
Nothing serious so far, just an intermittant ache that makes me think twice about a bike ride incase i flare it up.

In a nutshell, I think the R1 is going to have to be sacrificed for something that i am not going to be put off riding just in case i have a bad day, but i still want something that is a bit of fun and looks good. If i'm honest i never really got attached to the yammy in terms of riding enjoyment, but it was my boyhood dream to own one and i do love the way she looks.

Why not just by the Stripple i hear you shout...?! Easy answer - I can't afford one! The Speed Fours are bloody reasonably priced considering, and i should be able to sell the 2000 R1 for around about the price of a 2003+ Triumph.

I know there are other options ie. Fazers, bandit's, SV's etc but none of them really get my motor running to look at.

Any ideas, comments or advice warmly welcomed Cool
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...GSX1400....nice riding position....lots and lots of grunt and for a big girl turns a corner fairly nimbly ....Barry h once commented id not have the 14 very long as i prefer a spirited ride but once he'd seen the 14 in action even he was surprised at how quick she can change direction.
basically it does everything its designed for and a lot more.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen the persistent and expensive charging problems that Redrat had with his TT600, I would perhaps say "avoid"... Get something more mainstream of the Bandit/Fazer/CBF ilk that you can repair via ebay easily if needed.

Street triple pulls you forward a little by the way.

Ride a few different bikes and see what you like Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Simon Smith
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I love Triumphs, but I agree with biggus. I don't think the speed 4 / TT600 was their best effort. The best feature of most Triumphs is that tripple engine, if I was going for a four it would probaby be from Japan.
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your price bracket, have a look at the 2003 Kawa Z1000. Still the best looking Z1000 imo and good fun to ride.

Regreted selling mine Sad
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't helpful, but it depends what you want... Confused Laughing

What's most important to you? Fairing? Torque? Comfort? Reliability? Handling? Etc...

Most modern bikes will handle surprisingly well even if they're not a "sports bike". The bandit 1250 handles superbly and has all the grunt you need, despite being a heavy beast. And then of course there's the gsx14 as MrE suggested. There's always the good ol' VFR if you want something softer but still sports orientated. The older pre-VTEC ones sound best Wink Even the Sprint 1050 might just be coming down to your price range if you shop around.
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest a Tuono Shocked . But then i'm not buying a house or planning a wedding just yet. Seriously a great bike but for the up-keep.

Tango's suggestion is good and i've seen HCMS make progress on the old ZRX 1200.....and yes, i do miss mine. Sad
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrE wrote:
Yup...GSX1400....nice riding position....lots and lots of grunt and for a big girl turns a corner fairly nimbly ....Barry h once commented id not have the 14 very long as i prefer a spirited ride but once he'd seen the 14 in action even he was surprised at how quick she can change direction.
basically it does everything its designed for and a lot more.

You know, when I read that the first time I dismissed it cause I wasn't interested in riding a seventies retro bike. I suppose I just assumed its not my kind of thing.

I have now looked at a couple on t'web and am starting to come around I think..... Wink
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Having seen the persistent and expensive charging problems that Redrat had with his TT600, I would perhaps say "avoid"... Get something more mainstream of the Bandit/Fazer/CBF ilk that you can repair via ebay easily if needed.

Street triple pulls you forward a little by the way.

Ride a few different bikes and see what you like Smile

Cheers for the advice on the speed Dunc, I was drawn to it for its looks but could do without a troublesome pet!
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tango wrote:
For your price bracket, have a look at the 2003 Kawa Z1000. Still the best looking Z1000 imo and good fun to ride.

Regreted selling mine Sad

Still a little out of my price range, but maybe next time!
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:
I'd suggest a Tuono Shocked . Sad

rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing

You must be joking... All I've heard you do is complain about that thing Laughing
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
I know this isn't helpful, but it depends what you want... Confused Laughing

What's most important to you? Fairing? Torque? Comfort? Reliability? Handling? Etc...

Most modern bikes will handle surprisingly well even if they're not a "sports bike". The bandit 1250 handles superbly and has all the grunt you need, despite being a heavy beast. And then of course there's the gsx14 as MrE suggested. There's always the good ol' VFR if you want something softer but still sports orientated. The older pre-VTEC ones sound best Wink Even the Sprint 1050 might just be coming down to your price range if you shop around.

Comfort and handling really, but looks are important to a youngster like me ya know Cool reliability is always important mind!
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Honda CB1300? something similar to the GSX1400! Now thinking completely out of the box, how about an HD roadster 883, very cool looking bike and in the contrary that many people think it is as not expensive as you may think!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a CB1300 for sale soon Razz

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I might have a CB1300 for sale soon Razz

If I had the extra dosh i'd buy it of you to commute to work! Sad
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharky, if you're out testing bikes go and try a couple that you wouldn't normally consider and keep an open mind. Bigger isn't always better...

I've been using FC's SV650 this week for work, and I've not had so much fun on a bike in a long time. Even with 30k miles on the clock and knackered head bearings it handles like nothing on earth. Just throw it into corners, no slowing down for roundabouts Very Happy it doesn't matter that on paper it's underpowered as it'll carry so much corner speed, as long as you ride smoothly. Brilliant bit of kit, although the seating positions a bit cramped for me long term, maybe the naked version would be better.

It'll be easy on tyres meaning you can put proper sticky rubber on there without breaking the bank, and even riding hard I got 150 ish miles from 12 litres of fuel...result!!!

For your budget you could pick up a pointy model with the adjustable suspension, and probably kitted out with a load of extras.

Just my tuppence... Again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: