BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THINK! urges motorcyclists to stay in control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: THINK! urges motorcyclists to stay in control Reply with quote

Defensive motorcycling riding skills to improve in new road safety initiative.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/think-urges-motorcyclists-to-stay-in-control
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes good sense.

I love bikes but they are firkin dangerous, thats all part of the appeal.

I am taking my eldest daughter out on the bike for the first time (she is 21) tomorrow.

You might ask why I have never done it before. I have always been concerned about her being injured either by a mistake on my part or somebody elses.

However, she rides horses every day, jumps them, does cross country etc and wants to go out on the bike, so I have said yes.

She can borrow clothing and we have a selection of helmets, so as long as they fit OK we are going to head for the coast!!
NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Red wrote:
Makes good sense.

I love bikes but they are firkin dangerous, thats all part of the appeal.

I am taking my eldest daughter out on the bike for the first time (she is 21) tomorrow.

You might ask why I have never done it before. I have always been concerned about her being injured either by a mistake on my part or somebody elses.

However, she rides horses every day, jumps them, does cross country etc and wants to go out on the bike, so I have said yes.

She can borrow clothing and we have a selection of helmets, so as long as they fit OK we are going to head for the coast!!

Good man...If she really wants to do it she will anytway so best with her dad Wink
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Bognor for an ice cream then back via Bury Hill, about 70 miles or so.

One little moment when a silver Corsa wanted my lane as I overtook on a dual carriageway, I need noisey pipes.

She loved it, was amazed at the speed and the lean (and I was my normal cautious self)

Wants to go our again ASAP.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Red wrote:

Horses as dangerous, of not more than than motorcycles. The best female riders I know started off on 1hp hayburning road locomotives.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, horrible unpredictable animals.

Anyway I was reading the other day that a horse actually delivers 15 HP and a man produces 1 HP.

When James Watt sold his first steam engines he sold them based on how many horses they replaced, ie one working, two resting, two sick, four sleeping, three eating and three on holiday etc.

So a 15 HP engine replaced 15 horses, it did not do 15 horses work at the same time.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Red wrote:
I agree, horrible unpredictable animals.

Anyway I was reading the other day that a horse actually delivers 15 HP and a man produces 1 HP.

When James Watt sold his first steam engines he sold them based on how many horses they replaced, ie one working, two resting, two sick, four sleeping, three eating and three on holiday etc.

So a 15 HP engine replaced 15 horses, it did not do 15 horses work at the same time.

Then there's also 'nominal horsepower' (NHP) which was an invented unit to make steam traction engines sound far less powerful than they really were.

Power specifications annoy me because there's rarely anything useful in sales blurb to say what it really means. Power is nothing without driveability/control anyway. But hey us Motorcyclists like to play "Top Trumps" with figures don't we!! Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bourne tells us that nominal power was a commercial unit by which engines were bought and sold, and that it is a quite different measure from actual horsepower. It would appear that the rule for determining NHP was developed by James Watt (1736-1819), the Scottish steam engineer and inventor who substantially improved Newcomen's engine by the introduction of condensing. NHP was calculated by reference to the size of the cylinder bore and the speed of the piston. HP on the other hand is a measure of the actual power produced by an engine, equivalent to 550 foot-pounds per second or 745.7 watts. This being the case it is not possible to convert NHP to HP or vice-versa.
It is interesting to note from Bourne that even in 1885 there was considerable confusion about NHP and HP. He went on to say "nominal power, even as a commercial standard, is dying out, and need not now be held as of much account". One might question his view on the latter. As late as the mid-1920s the size of some engines entered in Paxman's order book was still being quoted in NHP rather than HP.

Eh?
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cat's name is Mittens.
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets get onto the difference between HP and torque, thats always a good one.

Anyway I am shutting my astern guardian valve and going to bed.

Beware of steam hammer.
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter how many horses you have as long as you also have a steam stop valve ("How To Drive A Steam Locomotive" - Brian Hollingsworth).
Laughing
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
It doesn't matter how many horses you have as long as you also have a steam stop valve ("How To Drive A Steam Locomotive" - Brian Hollingsworth).
Laughing

Ive never driven a steam loco but have driven a few 36000 SHP (Shaft horse power...oh matron) ships. Some times from a control room but more entertainingly from a manovering platfom between the boilers and the turbines.

Extended spindles from big wheels open manovering valves and away you go.

The real issue is what happens to all the steam you use, it comes back as condense via various routes to upset a load of finely balanced systems.

The bridge staff dont appreciated the mayhem caused below by head/astern/ahead orders, they need to learn to park properly.

The main stop valves on top of the boilers are rarely operated but the engine main stops and astern guardians and manoevering valves all get a regular workout.

I have had one occasion when remotely controlled manovering valves refused to work. We were taking 315000 tonnes of crude from Sullom Voe to a buoy off of Liverpool to pump it ashore. We just ran the buoy over when we couldnt go astern.
We had to run down to the valves, take out the overide pins and drive the engines using handwheels on the valves themselves.

When tried later on auto they all worked. Mystery.

Blimey what a ramble. Must go.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Red wrote:
Ive never driven a steam loco

I have...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: