BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new Water Cooled BMW R 1200 GS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: The new Water Cooled BMW R 1200 GS Reply with quote

Went to Coopers in Tunbridge Wells yesterday to drop my 2009 GS in for its regular 6000 mile service interval to keep the warranty alive, MOT and tyre change (Still sticking with Conti Trail Attack), could easily get 9000 + miles out of the tyres but 2 up fully loaded in the Alps takes it toll and causes the treads to step from front to back, so its nice to have fresh rounded rubber sooner rather than later. I bought the tyres from http://www.btyres.co.uk/ for £154.00 + delivery which was cheaper than M&P and £80.00 cheaper than Rubber Ranch when you take in to account that Coopers only charged £35.00 for the pair to fit. Service MOT and tyre change came in at £320.00 which is pretty competitive by my reckoning.

My choice of loan bike was the new water cooler GS with 400 miles on it so I obviously was helping to run it in for them Twisted Evil

Whilst I love my 09 GS, the new beast is a completely different kettle of fish! Smooth, nicer engine not and nice sharp lines IMO.

Started off in 'rain' mode which keeps it to 100 BHP and super smooth but quickly went 'dynamic' 125 BHP once on the A21.... Blimey !!!

Sorry guys you can stick the 150 BHP adventure bikes, this is more than enough BHP for this kind of bike, I quickly encountered a foreign lorry driver who didn't see/bother to look in his blind spot and pulled out to the fast lane with me in the middle of the vehicle length, so it was a case of testing the ABS or die with only a metre between the lorry, me and the crash barrier Hair Raising. The fact I am writing this proves that it works very well and the 'Dynamic' sports mode meant that I was quickly in front of him to give him the obligatory what a w***er

Anyway a full day testing on everything from fast A roads, urban estates and towns down to farm tracks.

Didn't skip a beat and took everything that I through at it Kneedown

Now the dislikes...... Only one really and for me a potentially serious one.

I hate the new grips and thumb controls. My left hand thumb needs to be one inch longer to operate the controls due to a 20mm wide clicky wheel (sat nav scroller) between the grip and thumb controls. The right hand grip is even worse, as it is spaced out 20mm to match the proportions of the other side.

This meant that for me to operate Enduro Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) and the Heated Handlebar grips, I had to either let go of the throttle I don't know or try and balance a light hold on the grip with an outstretched thumb...

THIS NEARLY CAUSED A DISASTER !!!

The grip stuck to the glove slightly causing the bike to excellerate out of control for a second which meant I popped a sideways wheelie in the middle of a residential estate Confused I managed to bring the GS under control but but it was a real shitter and might explain why there have been a few unexplained offs on this bike. This was also something that had happend to a guy I was chatting with add the end of the day, so I am not alone!

Anyway... slightly sprained thumb later, I took the bike onto my favourite muddy B roads and punished it for being a cnut. Twisted Evil

Anyway... The BMW write up on what's new is as follows...

A new feature for the R 1200 GS is the water-cooled boxer engine. This has allowed us to sculpt revolutionary vertical contours – a masterpiece of lightness and aerodynamics. With its 125 hp (92 kW) and 125 Nm torque, the two-cylinder opposed twin engine promises power in every situation. Based on a new concept of combined air and liquid cooling and vertical flows through the cylinders, the engine operates efficiently, reliably, and with high torques at all times. Further improvements like the new wet clutch with anti-hopping feature and the electromotive throttle actuator E-Gas make the opposed twin engine the perfect drive solution at the heart of the new R 1200 GS.

The field potential of the new R 1200 GS was further expanded with a new, more rigid main frame and suspension elements mounted on a stiffer bearing. Also improved were the Paralever and Telelever for perceptibly better GS riding precision. The more sensitive response now gives the rider much greater feedback on uneven roads.

The standard model here in the UK comes complete with ABS, handguards and pannier fastenings. A range of optional extras are also available including cruise control, Enduro Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA), Heated Handlebar grips and Automatic stability control (ASC).

Do I like the new GS? YES

Does it still lead the Adventure Bike Class? YES

Would I swap my tractor sounding 09 model for the new GS? NO

To be honest once I got on my GS to ride it home, I kind of like the 100BHP and traction contol with a trottle that I can twist as sharply as I like and wont get me into trouble, as long as the bike is upright at the point of a full twist. I know the new GS, Triumphs, Honda's, Kawasakis and Ducati's have 'rain mode' type options that keep the bike to circa 100 BHP but for the kind of roads I like to ride, my trusty GS does it all with no need for the extra ponnies whatsoever Wink

Oh and at the service.... your final drive has a little play in it and is making a slight noise...... So booked it in for a bearing re-build and kinda glad I extended the warranty which will save me £500.00 2 Thumbs up

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the water cooling a bucket of water tied to the bars, when the engine gets hot, just tip ? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: