BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not so much a question, but an answer

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Not so much a question, but an answer Reply with quote

The final drive on my 1100 Pan started going "yang yang yang" on overrun... So I checked the oil in the Bevel box and it was grey and gritty... "not good". I was taking the wheels out for new boots, and this is what I found:



Similar coresponding wear on the splines on the gears... in other words they are fooked... (replacement bevel gears are 402+vat for a matched pair, the "spider" 152 + vat) "OUCH".

Seems this problem is the culmination of a few things...

1. The disintegration & non replacement of two O rings.

2. Ditto one plastic "thrust" washer

3. Ingress of road detritus and brake dust,

4. Incorrect spline lubricant used...

"Good s/h" drive Spider from Ebay



Anyway, turns out the "correct" stuff to use on the splines is pretty much obsolete. And "Dealer Workshop" recommendation of using "Moly Grease", or "LM Grease" is incorrect. Ordinary Moly Grease is far too thin, too low a melting point etc... the "Paste" required is known by Honda as "Moly 60" and is quite tar like so it doesn't get squeezed out of the splines... it doesn't melt and run out and doesn't pick up dust and turn into grinding paste.

The correct stuff, is available from here: http://www.motocrossworld.com/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=22378

So lessons kids... make sure you know all the seals and spacers that "SHOULD" be present on your wheels, make sure the tyre company/garage use the correct grease/paste if you have a shafty...
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is the stuff....


_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Simon Smith
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider


Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 162
Location: Oxted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have aHonda part number? If so I might be able to get it, it's bound to be used on a piece of machinery somewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Smith wrote:
Does it have aHonda part number? If so I might be able to get it, it's bound to be used on a piece of machinery somewhere.


The Honda Part # is 08734-0001 (I've bought it from the shop link in my first post).

I've heard it called "hammer grease" too.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter


Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 3988
Location: .........in another world !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used a similar compound where I used to work called 'Anti-scuffing paste' made by Rocol and is still used on shaft splines by the Landrover forums. On some of my old cars I just used the graphite grease as used in the cv joints as this was very high melting point. When heated enough to dry out it just turned into powder.
_________________
It's all down to quality of life !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 2645
Location: Lost in Space

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that's just good old CV grease in Honda packaging Laughing
_________________
The Resident Forum Ghost
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
redrat
Dirty old man
Dirty old man


Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Posts: 578
Location: Frimley, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read this thread - a well documented Pan fact is the existence of a hidden third (3rd) O ring inside the hub spider - did you find this and check it when assembling the spare parts - not a problem to check/replace when next the wheel is off + a teaspoon max of the 'paste' is plenty when lubricating the contact areas!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon Smith
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider


Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 162
Location: Oxted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can get it, but we don't get much off the price so can't beat that. Just a thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 519

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love shaft drives, never a problem unlike those nasty medieval chains.

Until there is a problem then its a disaster.
_________________
Blue smoke and a ring ding ding
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 519

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love shaft drives, never a problem unlike those nasty medieval chains.

Until there is a problem then its a disaster.
_________________
Blue smoke and a ring ding ding
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redrat wrote:
Just re-read this thread - a well documented Pan fact is the existence of a hidden third (3rd) O ring inside the hub spider - did you find this and check it when assembling the spare parts - not a problem to check/replace when next the wheel is off + a teaspoon max of the 'paste' is plenty when lubricating the contact areas!!


Yes I found that one too. Easy to see how they go unnoticed if they disintegrate!

Nuclear Red wrote:
I love shaft drives, never a problem unlike those nasty medieval chains.

Until there is a problem then its a disaster.


You are not wrong there. Did anyone mention disintegrating BMW GS shaft drives?!
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group