BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

it lives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: it lives Reply with quote

Well after 3 years of being laid up and only being started for an MOT early this year i went to start the ZXR400 only to be greeted with nothing but a starter motor turning over the engine but not firing.
Oh dear i knew i was pushing my luck after 2 years with the fuel in it and that it may suffer some gumming of the jets but after starting on the button for her mot i thought i was in the clear...WWWRROOOONNGGG!!!!
So following a full strip down of the carbs, sure enough every orifice was blocked so i got busy with carb cleaner and wire and a high pressure air gun, once i was dubiously happy with the state of all the jets i began reaasembly, checked the fuel pump was working...yup pulses of fuel all over the place lol, checked the fuel filter and yup thats free flowing ( may change it as a matter of course later) ...tank back on and hit the buttton ....nothing for a bit ..that was expected while the bowls filled ...then pfffuht ....phut phut ...full choke phutphutphut...a little throttle and she goes back to just turning over ....hmmm try again with full choke but wind the tick over up a few turns and phutphutphut ..duggaduggadugga...ok i have a v twin ...ang on its a straight 4 cylinder ...hmmm ok leave it ticking over like that for a bit and add quite an overdose of injector cleaner to the tank ....rather noxious fumes building up.....temps rising ..thats good.....ease the choke off ...still got that v twin sound but she is holding at about 1.5k revs i try a touch of throttle and the revs rise...then fall and she cuts out ...bollox ..still fuel starvation....hit the starter and she fires and ticks over some more at 1.5k ....come on girl ( yes im begging a bike to run) i trickle in a bit more choke and the revs rise to 5k then drop so i back the choke off again....15 or 20 times of repeating this and i can actually leave the choke off and do the same with the throttle ....on a bit a ;et the revs rise and fall then back it off again ....5 minutes of this and suddenly theres a bit of a pop and i have an inline 4 again albeit a little slow to respond to sudden throttle movement ...i run her till the fan cuts in just gently easing the revs in and out until i can wind her up to 12k ....its not smooth yet but im hoping that with some new fuel and some additive and a good run she will be ready to howl once again.
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job dude, you planning some track days or just having a hoot?
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sick of seeing it just sat there so decided to get it back on the road ...but that got delayed and now im in the mood im gonna tidy her up a bit
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. I often find manually choking each air intake with the palm of my hand to get a carbed bike running.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Pete.

biggus wrote:
Good stuff. I often find manually choking each air intake with the palm of my hand to get a carbed bike running.

I used to have to do that to get my Triumph Herald started every morning Shocked .
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:...well after sitting for a night i gave her another kick in the guts and ....she didnt wanna fire .....hmmm ok off to halfrauds....and a tin of stp carb cleaner ...a small can which you spray in via the air intakes a bit at a time ....set tick over to 2k and squirt...squirt ..the revs rise then fall to almost stall then settle again...keep doing this till the can is empty as per the instructions then leave ticking over for 1 minute , turn bike off re insert air filter and leave to cool. restarted once cooled and ....starts first time. the real test will be after leaving her for 24hrs.
Meanwhile the fairings are in the process of being stripped back to bare and having got the best match i could made up they will soon receive a nice new coat of paint. gonna have a trawl for new decals.
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many little springs and washers did you have left over from the carbs.

As long as its less than 10% you should be OK
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I do anything mechanical I usually end up with fewer than I need!
Mainly because I can never find them after they've pinged across the garage. Twisted Evil
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not one bit left over Very Happy
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE...following a bit of prep work on the plastics that required refreshing and some experimental paintwork on the wheels i decided to give her another shot at starting...ahhh bollox ...still wont start cleanly and takes about half an hour faffing about to get her running anywhere near right so i reckon another strip down and a soak in something strong to clean all the parts ( any recommendations welcome. however as mentioned in what pissed me off today, things have gone on hold due to failing body parts and the need to reduce any undue tension to said parts.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember southernspeed taking fairly recently about modern petrol corroding needles/jets. Can't find the post about it but worth a thought?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Remember southernspeed taking fairly recently about modern petrol corroding needles/jets. Can't find the post about it but worth a thought?
Thumbs up
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after spending the best part of Saturday stripping and rebuilding the carbs for the zxr 400 not once not twice but 4 frikin times before i solved the overflow problem (good call biggus on the corrosion m'llarky along with a split rubber seal around one of the float filter housings) she finally started and ran ...great. then it starts leaking around the fuel tap and i was not in the mood to look any further so walked away frustrated ( obviously turning the fuel off before hand ) Sunday and i go out , turn the fuel on and ...nothing ...zilch ..wont start again...FFS ..working on the moral of one should not work on a bike when in a foul mood i again walked away....and as much as i hate being beaten i was elated to find on ebay last night a full set of carbs removed from a breaker bike for £20. Defeatist i can hear y'all crying....noooo ...i shall wait til they arrive ..check em over and clean as required at my leisure then fit them to the bike ...the ones i take off shall be stripped to within an inch of their lives cleaned AGAIN ( WITH BITS LEFT TO SOAK THIS TIME) re assembled and all settings set to factory spec before i put them on ebay as untested . Fingers crossed i haven't just bought someone else's problems. Regarding the fuel tap leak ...im sure its a bad fuel line and may well just replace it along with the inline fuel filter the current one has been checked and does allow fuel past ( forgetting to connect the feed line to the carbs proved that ( fuel all over the place lol) but for the cost may as well do it for the peice of mind.
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so second hand carbs bought on e bay for £20 ...been sweating about em since the day i clicked "buy" ...so they turn up and ....oh shit they look different....so take of the airbox that came with em ...and strip out the ones from the bike ...oh yeah they look really different ....hang on ...theres something extra bolted to the original carbs ...does it come off ...ok it does ..will it fit the new carbs....OH YEAH THAT SHIT FITS....oooo ooo oooo now im excited cos they look like the originals now ...so fit em on then start the investigation into the leaky fuel tap...strip it out and dismantle ..hmm compression washer looks a little flat..a tweak here and a twist there and hey presto leaky tap fixed. so fit the tank back onto the bike hook all the pipes up and ...kick her in the guts.....hmmm not firing ...turning but not firing ...battery dies....fuck.
ok so battery charged and we have another go ( when i say we i mean ME...) and .....WAAAAHOOOOOO she fires up instantly on choke ...ok let her run ....fingers crossed i wind back the choke and......HOLY SHIT SHE TICKS OVER....albeit a little fast..so adjust the tickover and all seems good ....why can i smell petrol?...torch out ....shit fuel lines leaking now FFS ...turn her off and strip back again...poxy old fuel lines...cut back split and re assemble ..start her up and first time on the button she springs to life ....a blip on the throttle reveals she is a bit sluggish to return to tickover with the revs dropping slowly and resting at 2k ..adjust tickover again down to 1.6k another blip and slowly she drops to 2k FFS....start searching round praying ill find something thats going to avoid an immediate retune of the carbs ( wrong time of year to be paying out) ...wonder if that old cable tied pipe ( probably from some kind of pairs system thats been removed) is letting in air....whoops ..that old cable tied pipe literally fell off rofl, so find an appropriate bolt and screw that into the hole. start her up again on the button first time and she revs high...hmmm give her a few blips and whaddya know she settles to tick over at 1.6k ....BOOM!.....I AM THE DOGS DANGLIES, THE ELEPHANTS ELBOWS, A FRIKIN LEGEND IN MY OWN UNDERPANTS. FUCKIN WELL DONE ME!!!!
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So following on from the fueling saga and having sorted that all out i turned my attentions to the fairings which looked more than a tad tired, took to them with an orbital sander and took em right back to base ....then after finding the colour is like hens teeth i took a section into halfrauds for them to match as best they could and to be fair they didnt do bad. so back home and i give the fairings 2 coats of primer and then allow to dry ....1200 wet and dry that back to flat ( or as flat as you can get fairing that old lol) and start to spray the first coat of colour ...WTF....worst ever spray pattern ive ever seen thick at top light mist in the middle and a thick line at the bottom , damn this is gonna be hard work...eventually get what looks liike an even finish so leave them to dry.
2 days later i go out to check them and ....WTF...they have white streaks all over....a bit of research reveals this is not the best time of year to be spraying in a garage as the paint mist actually collects moisture between leaving the can and hitting the subject ....BOLLOX.
So once again i flatten it all off and prep it for re paint ...more paint from Halfrauds and this time i get spare nozzles. back home and out comes a tarpaulin and the upstairs office becomes my new spray booth ( everything covered with the tarp) i allow the parts to warm to room temp as well as the cans and i begin spraying , hmmm ok the pattern is improved but not what id call a good one but i manage to work with it and i can see a marked improvement with the way the paint is laying on once all done i leave them to dry and await the wrath of SWMBO when she gets home to the stench.
a few days later i bring them back in from the garage and check them over and im pretty happy they seem to have a shine now so back to the spray booth for the first layer of clear coat ...BING ....thats the trick now they gleam. no mor enow until the vinyls arrive and once they are applied ill give a wipe over with a tack cloth before the 2nd and 3rd clear coat , then itll be down to polish and wax for the finish.
after that ill be sprucing up the calipers and the wheels a bit of touch in for the frame ...blah blah blah ..nowhere in the league of Wackys project but a much improved appearance of what was.
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnage wrote:
i leave them to dry and await the wrath of SWMBO when she gets home to the stench.

a few days later i bring them back in from the garage

So, it took you a few days to recover from the wrath of SWMBO?
No trip to A&E required I hope! Laughing

Well done Pete, I'm sure she will look lovely again.
I can just about stretch to washing my bikes!
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnage wrote:
...blah blah blah ..nowhere in the league of Wackys project but a much improved appearance of what was.

Cheers Pete, but at least you're making progress. My next paint job is the engine, and I aint carrying that indoors ! Very Happy
Bacon
bacon© Lil Mush
bacon© Lil Mush

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnage wrote:
not one bit left over Very Happy

You're missing a trick there, you would then have spares..... Get your coat!

WooHoo, feck you job centre...I'm offski?

"One man can't make a riot, a one man riot is a tantrum"!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli
Loco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!!! (even if you did have to do it multiple times ) I'm a postwhore
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the budget has reached its limit and i promised myself i wouldn't spend more, so after tittyfying a few other bits ( torque bar,side luggage rails,chipped swing arm ends) and giving her some fresh oil and oil filter ( i know the air filter is clean after all the carb work) im am now in the process of slowly re,assembling her, i would have liked to have splashed out on new fairing screws but it looks like itll have to do with what i have ( may remove them a few at a time and spruce them up with a quick blow over on the heads ) without shelling out thousands on custom paintwork, powder coating etc she will always be a 16 yr old bike but for a 16yr old bike she still gets a shift on and makes a superb first sports bike and is ideal for someone wanting to do their first track days without putting their pride and joy multi thousand pound machine at risk. now to decide if i keep her or sell her on for another to benefit from. decisions decisions.
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annnnd her tyres hit the ground today and depending on a few factors she may be out for the lens tomorrow, what factors i hear you ask, well one is the weather, another is if the garage floor is dry as i decided to paint it this afternoon.
Ok...... i hear you asking how i managed to paint a garage floor that has 2 bikes stored in it .......its maaaaaggggiiiicccc!!!! ooooooohhhhhh!!!! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!
obviously is the other factor of she needs a bath and some make up having sat around motionless for a few weeks.
fingers crossed x
Loco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnage wrote:
annnnd her tyres hit the ground today and depending on a few factors she may be out for the lens tomorrow, what factors i hear you ask, well one is the weather, another is if the garage floor is dry as i decided to paint it this afternoon.
Ok...... i hear you asking how i managed to paint a garage floor that has 2 bikes stored in it .......its maaaaaggggiiiicccc!!!! ooooooohhhhhh!!!! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!
obviously is the other factor of she needs a bath and some make up having sat around motionless for a few weeks.
fingers crossed x

Sell it ! Sell it! Spennies can be used elsewhere!
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it, keep it. Motorcycles are about more than spennies!

I know no one would want to buy my Raptor no matter how much I "tarted" her up, but I would never sell her, she's too much fun. happy biker happy biker happy biker
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
Keep it, keep it. Motorcycles are about more than spennies!

tru dat Jimbo but she deserves someone that can use her for what she is and thats a nice step into sports bikes, i fear now all im going to do if i keep her is push her beyond what she has left if that makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: