BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Young Riders on Superbikes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Young Riders on Superbikes - Smart or Not?
Why not, it's their decision
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
No they should work their way up
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
Doesn't bother me
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 26

faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus wrote:
There is no substitute for experience, If you want to stay in one piece. I would always say build upto powerful bikes, make your mistakes at lower speeds on smaller bikes.

just because you've been riding 50 years will not stop farmer Giles pulling out in his tractor round that bend that your taking flat out wid ya knee down and cant see round it ........ depends what ya learnt from your experinace .. experiance and protective clothing does'nt make ya invincable .. ...

they also reckon that the ones most likley to have accidents are not the ones learning, nor the ones that have just passed their test. They are still nervous and being careful ... its when they start to get a bit of experinace and over confident ...
pgtips
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple 'o' penneth worth.....

First up, 2 hours after I passed my test, I was 'lucky' enough to get the opportunity to ride a GSXR1100H - one of the fastest production race machines available at the time. Yep, was V nervous & as it turned out, my mate needed me to ride either that, or a honda CB250RS back for him, so he figured that I'd take more care on the gixxer - he was right, and ever since, I've prefered bigger bikes. THat's not to say I didnt do some pretty dumb things during my first few years of riding & to be honest I'm glad that I had a smaller bike followed by an old GS750 - big, lots of weight, but comparatively low power by modern standards, so I guess I'd go with getting experience on those sort of bikes if you're going to ride them - i.e. get some training.
Secondly - the issue of direct access/restrictions etc. Personally I dont think that everyone wants to ride massive bikes, a lot of people are happy with mid-range bikes, so I cant see what the problem would be with having a test for people who want to ride up to 33bhp, and a test for over. Would keep it nice & simple really.
Finally I noticed the ages of these lads 18/19...hmmm it's unlikely that you'd get a bikes like that restricted in the first place - can be done but I've never seen one & it kinda strangles em. So, looking at thier cavalier attitude, I'd hazard a guess that these guys are either lying about thier age (not likely), lying about the restrictions to the bikes, or they havent got entitlement to ride those bikes, let alone the large amounts of money for insurance - I was quoted £1027 tp only at 20 - 13 years ago!

I dont think that just because someone's young that they cant ride - just because a bike's big & racy, doesnt mean the rider can handle it, and just because the bikes small - doesnt mean that the bike & rider couldnt ride rings around you!

Those guys definately sound a bit iffy tho.

As for the whole insurance argument, hmm, I got done for no insurance on a technicality once - that then made my ins. go up! so thinking about it, if someone couldnt afford ins, got stopped etc thier punishment is higher insurance? doesnt make much sense there really. Think about it a bit harder, and if you make a claim yr insurance goes up - so why have you protected yourself in the first place? if you dont make a claim, yr insurance goes up.......
Never had to claim off my insurance - ever, looking back at the cars & bikes I've had the money I've paid must be astronomical, somewhere between £13 - £17K. Hmm what have I had for that........crappy service, long hold times, renewal increases, and people telling me that if I tell a fib- they all talk to each other & will do me- that's rich, they've scammed thousands off me!
1stGarry
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam got his teeth into:
Quote:
1stGarry wrote:
At 18 you're a lairy git who is likely to take stupid risks on a bike, and you think you're indistructible! I know it's a generalisation, but it holds true for the majority of young bikers.

Jam replied:
i dont agree with that at all.. you only hear about the bad cases and they get such a high profile that people's impressions get warped...

Jam I was making a generalisation about young riders. I suspect that most people on here had their scariest moments on a bike whilst a youngster.
My worst accident was as an 18 year old who thought he could do an Evel kneivel over a roundabout whilst under the influence.
My most stupid risk-taking riding was as a teenager because I didn't think I could possibly get hurt, and I was lucky to have gotten away with it so lightly!
I look back now, with memories of good friends killed or seriously injured on their bikes - sometimes their fault sometimes not - and wonder why I wasn't one of those statistics. Many of those accidents were rider fault or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wonder if experience would have reduced those statistics?

Bikes now are far far more powerful and can be pushed to limits unheard of years ago. But learners can train on modestly powered bike, pass a basic riding test, and go out and buy an outrageously powered sports bike, and take to our crowded roads like lambs to the slaughter!
They have no knowledge of dealing with hazard perception (that's what keeps most of us rubber side down) and just want the adrenalin rush of speed!

Faulksie - I think it was you who queried my statistics. Check with the National Statistics office if you like, that's were the figures came from.

I agree that there some very good young riders out there, but even more awful and allegedly experienced riders. The worst of this latter group is the Born Again rider. Passed their test 10/15/20 years ago and have decided/can finally afford to get back into biking. The trouble is that they only remember what the bikes were like then, and in the meantime bikes have improved way passed their forgotten riding skills.
At the other end of the scale are good new young rider like Steve. Only riding for a month and anyone who has ridden with him can-not fail to be impressed.

Jesus I've been rabbiting, sorry, I'll wrap up by saying that statistically young inexperienced riders have more accidents per mile than experienced riders of any age group. No generalisations, just statistics. Smile
Matty
Cant keep it up!
Cant keep it up!

Location: Peacehaven, somewhere between the mad house and my bike!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now now children put your toys back into your pram please Wink Laughing
1stGarry
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting at all mardy, Matt.
This is a fascinating thread and I'm taking in all these points of view. Smile
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth all of these points are largely down to the individual concerned, just being 18 doesn't make you a hooligan... likewise being older & experienced doesn't make you a riding god - case in point was a colleague moaning about an old hairy roaring off up to 70 on the straights then taking every corner like a 50 pence piece at 30 (thrupenny bit to you garry Wink Laughing )

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1stGarry
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the thrupenny bit, now that were real money, lad Laughing
Matty
Cant keep it up!
Cant keep it up!

Location: Peacehaven, somewhere between the mad house and my bike!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stGarry wrote:
Not getting at all mardy, Matt.
This is a fascinating thread and I'm taking in all these points of view. Smile

no worries swiss just joshing with ya matey Wink Laughing
firestorm
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stGarry wrote:

My worst accident was as an 18 year old who thought he could do an Evel kneivel over a roundabout whilst under the influence.
My most stupid risk-taking riding was as a teenager because I didn't think I could possibly get hurt, and I was lucky to have gotten away with it so lightly!
I look back now, with memories of good friends killed or seriously injured on their bikes - sometimes their fault sometimes not - and wonder why I wasn't one of those statistics. Many of those accidents were rider fault or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wonder if experience would have reduced those statistics?

Bikes now are far far more powerful and can be pushed to limits unheard of years ago. But learners can train on modestly powered bike, pass a basic riding test, and go out and buy an outrageously powered sports bike, and take to our crowded roads like lambs to the slaughter!
They have no knowledge of dealing with hazard perception (that's what keeps most of us rubber side down) and just want the adrenalin rush of speed!

I too took a lot of risks when I was younger and lost a few good friends
along the way and sometimes wonder how I got away with some
off the things I did. It's all part of growing up.
One of my mates wanted to join in with the biking scene but his folks
were dead against it.."too dangerous and all that"..
but he just had to get one. So he took his test and passed.
He bought a Honda 400/4.Not long after he was killed.Went over the top of a car that had shot a red light. Not his fault and had nothing to do with inexperience,,just being in the wronge place. Sad

Getting back to the point in question I still think the Kids where riding without insurance, also belive that they should biuld up to superbikes.
Same should also apply to cars.
Notorius
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say that since moving from my CG125 to the Speed 4 (which is restricted and I'm am insured for £1111 fully comp ((how it's that low for fully comp at my age I don't know))) I've have less near miss moments because I've been more observent on the road and I'm not rushing about everywhere trying to get the most out of my bike like I was on the CG because I know the bike will perform when I want it too. Mind you, most of my near missed on the CG were almost going right into the back of people because of the totally pathetic drum brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ive sat back and read the replys to this thread and at the risk of maybe sounding a total prat heres my opinion.
firstly at whatever age you pass your test you are and should be entitled to jump on any bike you wish you have trained and been tested on your ability to ride on two wheels safley
secondly as we all know the national speed limit in this country is 70mph the individual breaks this limit at thier own risk and we still import and make machines capable of shattering that limit
thirdly there is a fund in place to cover the victims of uninsured drivers ( i have been a victim which is why i am aware of it) it will not cover the uninsured party....... ride uninsured at your own risk.
Finally when an individual climbs aboard any vehicle be it a moped a superbike a supercar they and they alone have the choice on how fast they travel and most of these super machines will travel at the national speed limit extremely safley and have braking capabilities to match thier power if they choose to grab a handful of throttle on a 30mph country lane winding up and over 100mph then if farmer giles pulls out they can expect to reap the rewards of insanity.
please dont take my comments the wrong way i am probably the last person to abide to the letter of the law regarding the speed limit but i do believe there is a time and a place and yes i too have chased along the road in moments of insanity trying to play keep up with bigger bikes.
i have a philosophy ........................................
each to his own no more no less
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yes garry i am one of those that have just got back into biking after 15 years out of the loop hence i bought a 600cc tourer/sports nothing special nothing too jumpy (gsx600f).
when i passed my test over 20 years ago i jumped onto a z1300 would i do that today????? not on your nelly mate i wanna get the feel again with todays modern bike and todays rubber things have changed soooooo much and luckily i was senesible enough to realise it without making the mistakes first.
Gio
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
i think that there should be some way of displaying your crudentials on the bike so that the police could stop these people from braking the law

Take the RoSPA test then stick one of their dinky transfers on your helmet Smile
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mav, who do you think the money in that "fund" you mentioned comes from?
It comes from all the insured drivers.
Why should we have to pay to protect the victims of uninsured f**kwits?
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup you me and the rest of society pay it same way we keep the imigrants the unemployed etc etc and we will never see any different neither will we change it.
as i said dont take me wrong i am not condoning these idiots but in each to his own its thier choice.
Should the option be given i think anyone caught without insurance MOT or tax should have thier license revoked and be tagged whereby thier speed may be monitored and tracked to see if they are breaking the law ( driving without a license)
Jonboy
Learner
Learner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick wrote:

as i said dont take me wrong i am not condoning these idiots but in each to his own its thier choice.

So if they choose to ride uninsured then that's fine because it's their decision? And the fact we accept immigrants into the country makes it more acceptable? No offence but that really is bollocks.
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None taken jonboy Very Happy as i said i dont condone it and anyone show me a way to stop it and ill put my name to the top of the list.
imigration and unemployment were just examples of other forms of revenue taken from our pockets to subsedise other people,
examples nothing more.
as i stated before i have been the victim of an uninsured driver who incedently was drunk also and yes i recieved a small sum for my unjurys,
was it enough ???? no not really not when taken in to consideeration i could have died then what would the money mean.........nothing.
would i like to see something done about it ???? of course i would, do i think legally stopping an 18 year old buying a litre superbike will stop it .....NO itll probably make it worse cos theyll only go and buy one anyway and break another law.
firestorm
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to stop people riding/driving with no insurance..
Easy.....we have tax discs so why not have insurance discs as well?
that way plod can see if the vehicle has insurance or not Idea
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont u need insurance to get road tax ???

now being as i have a lad of 16 and a house full of his mate, i know what im talking about.

1 of his mates failed his CBT but his parents still let him ride his 50cc and he still got it insured!!

a few weeks later he was knocked off on a roundabout and guess what?? the car's insurance payed out!!!
how i dont know seeing as he didnt have a CBT he shouldnt be on the road

Other mates derestrict there 50ccto go faster again this is against there insurance, but they all see nothing wrong with it.

Now my lad wants a R6 in october, (33bhp) and says he'll take the kit out!!
no way will i let him, as he'll have no insurance so it will be a nice lil 400/500cc for him to start with till he learns how important things like NCB's no points are.
then at 19(2yrs 33bhp??) he can ride a full power bike and hopfully he would have done some more training and keep on learning.

Now i see his time on a small bike as very important learning curve to his long term bike riding not a quick road to power.

i guess its down to the lads them selfs but i would like my lad to take his time live and have fun with me for years to come, and yes he's had a spin on my bike but i wont let him ride around town on the 125 till he's 17.

The 1st Lady of the forum.
faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick ya talk a lot of sense mate ...

as regards someone saying bout insurance discs on bikes/cars like a tax disc ... i'm sure some of you are awrae thgat the insutrnace companies now register all vehicles insured on a central database that the Feds have access to .. several feds vehicles are equiped with number plate recognistion cameras that are linked to these databases are they are instantly informed if any vehicle is not taxed, insured or any thig else its wanted for

Tinks .. ask chufster what he used to do when he was younger as was'nt allowed a bike !! its hard to stop um mate .. no one could stop me Smile

Chufster ! hope ya did'nt mind me repeating that .. overheard u chatting bout that at the mucky duck ...

Last edited by faulksie47 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
pgtips
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildman wrote:

Comes from the motor industry manufacturers mainly.
Chuffster
Knight in Green Armour
Knight in Green Armour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Faulksie, havn't spoke to my parents for years and it would only be them it upset.
Jonboy
Learner
Learner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick wrote:
None taken jonboy
.....NO itll probably make it worse cos theyll only go and buy one anyway and break another law.

Ah, no worries - thought you meant it was their choice to go and ride one uninsured, and all was fine and dandy with that..
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildman wrote:

Its called the Motor Insurers Bureau, and your right all the insurers pay into it and we insured drivers pay the price.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Default.htm

There is another thread on here called:-

"What's the trickest bit you have bought for your bike"

Many of the mods made to the bikes described in this thread can if not declared render insurance void in the event of a claim. Read the proposal "Has this motorcycle been modified in any way. Yes/No ?"

Be careful. In the event of serious accident an assessor will come out and view the bike and note any non-standard items.
faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinks wrote:
like fcuk will i let my lad get a R1, i love him way to much.

sorry mate don't wanna keep on bout this one ... i know i said its difficult to stop um ..but one thing i did do wid both my son and daughter .. was to show um a few bent cars and bikes and some very gorey pics .. not the peeps though, i spared um that .... fink that certianly helped um to be more sensible....

by the way i worked, well still do, on special cases, as independant engineer for Insurance companies and solicitors ...so get copies of all the evidence pics, not a pretty site at times ...

maybe a trip to a bike breakers yard ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: