BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Wobblers Run
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dates for next Wobblers Run
Weekend of 6/7 May
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Weekend of 13/14 May
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Weekend of 20/21 May
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Weekend of 27/28 May
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.....

Tell 'em..................................................................................... Oh my God
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughie wrote:
wivvy's dad wrote:
Roughie wrote:
wivvy's dad wrote:
Which knee? Right or left??

Right Knee... been to the Dr's today got to go for xray and he has increased the pain killers.

hopfully i will get out on this run .. if i find it a problem i can always peel off and come home. Sad
That'll stop you using the rear brake then....... 2 Thumbs up

Now this is getting confusing .. i use the rear to slow and to stop when i am not going too fast. I use the front break when i need to stop rather more suddenly... i have been out on one or two rides and have been told use the back break.... don't use the back break .. use the front break don't use the front break ... ohhh what is a girl to do... Rolling Eyes

Just dont use the car in front to stop! Laughing

The 1st Lady of the forum.
Chuffster
Knight in Green Armour
Knight in Green Armour

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I never use the back brake. It gets touched once in a while to keep the rust of the disk and thats it. But thats me, most people will use the back to adjust the speed to a slight degree but most of the stopping power is with the front. If you brake hard enough, the back is in the air and its useless using the rear brake. Wink
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughie wrote:
Now this is getting confusing .. I use the front break when i need to stop rather more suddenly... i have been out on one or two rides and have been told use the back break.... don't use the back break .. use the front break don't use the front break ... ohhh what is a girl to do... Rolling Eyes
i remember a short while ago someone complaining about our spelling Very Happy don't you spell brake as in stopping not break as in leg Shocked
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
Roughie wrote:
Now this is getting confusing .. I use the front break when i need to stop rather more suddenly... i have been out on one or two rides and have been told use the back break.... don't use the back break .. use the front break don't use the front break ... ohhh what is a girl to do... Rolling Eyes
i remember a short while ago someone complaining about our spelling Very Happy don't you spell brake as in stopping not break as in leg Shocked

Here here...... oh b*ll*cks hear hear, or here hear, how about ear ear? Razz

I only use the back brake to make the stop light come on when I'm using engine braking Shocked .
Va Va Oops
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I usually use mainly front brake to stop, and back to slow down a bit to change gear or whatever.

Occassionally (as witnessed by some of you Laughing Embarrassed ) I use a little too much front brake a little too sharply whilst turning. I'm beggining to think that doing that might not be such a great idea. Wink

I also use the back break quite a lot when I'm riding slowly in heavy traffic and doing that clever little brake/clutch thingy that they taught me on the training course (like you have to do to do the turn in the road).

...Know what you mean though Roughie ...not only do I not know which is the best advice, but half the time I don't even understand what the hell they're talking about .....Counter-Steering, for example.... ....makes about as much sense to me as the Offside Rule.... Confused
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:

.....Counter-Steering, for example.... ....makes about as much sense to me as the Offside Rule.... Confused
you actually counter steer without knowing it,try turning right by turning the bars right you will find that you will actually go left Shocked
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of this http://www.survivalskills.clara.net/riding_skills_10.htm

hope it helps Smile

GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
Athos wrote:
Roughie wrote:

I only use the back brake to make the stop light come on when I'm using engine braking Shocked .

feck orf you know that winds me up Razz
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinks wrote:

hope it helps Smile

GULP!!!

I started to panic when it said "To deflect the bike from the vertical"

...by the time I got to "contrary to popular opinion, gyroscopic forces are not the answer - they contribute (and are easy to demonstrate) but the major forces (some 30 to 40 times stronger) are inertia and camber thrust." ...I knew I was WAY outta my depth..!! Shocked

Got to admit that I'm much more of a 'show me' than 'tell me' kind of person, however, right now, I'm worried that maybe Tinks is a bloke ...(cos she obviously gets all this!!)

...but now I'm noticing a thing or two...

Hmmmmmm.......

"the machine will turn around the point where lines drawn through the wheel spindles of the front and rear wheels cross each other (intersect)

the effect of trail moves the contract patch of the front tyre to one side, so that the centre of gravity of the bike is no longer directly above the line on which the bike is supported between the tyres - the bike will fall to one side

the effect of caster steering makes the front wheel lean, so that the contact patch is no longer on the centre line of the steering, and tries to turn the tyre into the corner - this is known as camber thrust "

...Whoahhh... ..Whoever wrote this was as wasted as me and probably had no more idea what the hell he was talking about than I do...???
Laughing

...Soz Tinks ...Thanks for trying ...and apologies for being such a 'girl'...what I really need is some kind of demonstration....
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlapheadBandit© wrote:
JimBo wrote:
Athos wrote:
Roughie wrote:

feck orf you know that winds me up Razz

Thought you were too Fick to get wound up??

Was that the 'brakes', the 'ears', or the spellings...??

...Not that I'd ever dream of using it against you.... Twisted Evil
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and try this one for braking hints

http://www.survivalskills.clara.net/riding_skills_11.htm

VVO, next time you are out on the bike doing over 20 mph, just give a gentle push on the left hand (or pull on the right) and see which way the bike leans and turns.

I reckon you are already doing that but do not realise it. To turn right do the opposite

Very Happy
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
Tinks wrote:

hope it helps Smile

GULP!!!

...by the time I got to "contrary to popular opinion, gyroscopic forces are not the answer - they contribute (and are easy to demonstrate) but the major forces (some 30 to 40 times stronger) are inertia and camber thrust." ...I knew I was WAY outta my depth..!! Shocked

Got to admit that I'm much more of a 'show me' than 'tell me' kind of person, however, right now, I'm worried that maybe Tinks is a bloke ...(cos she obviously gets all this!!)

...but now I'm noticing a thing or two...

Hmmmmmm.......

"the machine will turn around the point where lines drawn through the wheel spindles of the front and rear wheels cross each other (intersect)

the effect of trail moves the contract patch of the front tyre to one side, so that the centre of gravity of the bike is no longer directly above the line on which the bike is supported between the tyres - the bike will fall to one side

the effect of caster steering makes the front wheel lean, so that the contact patch is no longer on the centre line of the steering, and tries to turn the tyre into the corner - this is known as camber thrust "

...Whoahhh... ..Whoever wrote this was as wasted as me and probably had no more idea what the hell he was talking about than I do...???
Laughing

...Soz Tinks ...Thanks for trying ...and apologies for being such a 'girl'...what I really need is some kind of demonstration....

Think you could be right, as i also understand the offside rule Embarrassed

I'll be happpy to show you how it works when im out and about on the bike again but my guess is you would have been shown by then.

But to cut it down a bit if the bend is to your right push on the right hand side bar and if its to the left push to the left.

just give it a try at about 10mph Very Happy

think this month bike or ride has a write up about it.

BlueRR
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very small input on counter steering ...

I couldn't get my head around it until I happend to look at the bars whilst cornering once and found that I was counter steering naturally .. once I'd done this I tried pushing on the opposite bar when cornering, and as strange as it sounds it works .....
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Git didn't read it properly now I can't delete it....bugger
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tinks] Think you could be right, as i also understand the offside rule Embarrassed

I'll be happpy to show you how it works when im out and about on the bike again but my guess is you would have been shown by then.

But to cut it down a bit if the bend is to your right push on the right hand side bar and if its to the left push to the left.

think this month bike or ride has a write up about it.[/quote]

Yup ..I've read it ...and read it ...and read it.... PAH!!! ...BLONDE!!

...I can't play pool, either...

Embarrassed

...but I can build you a table, or show you how to build a jig for a high-speed router....

...defensive-girly-stance!!

Sad
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
[quote="Tinks] Think you could be right, as i also understand the offside rule Embarrassed

think this month bike or ride has a write up about it.

Yup ..I've read it ...and read it ...and read it.... PAH!!! ...BLONDE!!

...I can't play pool, either...

Embarrassed

...but I can build you a table, or show you how to build a jig for a high-speed router....

...defensive-girly-stance!!

Sad[/quote]

and blokes eat what meat?????
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
I'm worried that maybe Tinks is a bloke

You obviously haven't met Wink
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
I'm worried that maybe Tinks is a bloke
if she is i'm turning queer Very Happy
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still havn't got the whole counter steering concept and i think thats why i severely lack speed around the twisties. But since reading twist of the wrist and applying some practice im getting better now so fingers crossed i wont be left with Biggus again. Wink Guess it all boils down practice and determination.
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice counter-steering til I thought about the slight pressure on the palms of my hands when going into a corner. I use my back brake when I'm warming the engine and putting my gloves on in the morning as the bike will not start with the stand down. Also, I sometimes use the rear brake in a corner to scrub off a little speed.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOSS wrote:
Still havn't got the whole counter steering concept and i think thats why i severely lack speed around the twisties. But since reading twist of the wrist and applying some practice im getting better now so fingers crossed i wont be left with Biggus again. Wink Guess it all boils down practice and determination.

Not sure if i'll be out on Sat as yet, twist of the wrist is a cracking book even if the language is a little patronising. The key thing to remember with counter steering is that it's actually quite a small movement to of the bars to adjust the attitude of the bike and initiate the turn by tipping the bike in; you're probably doing it all the time without thinking about it at all - i.e. to move out for a parked car etc.

The way you're sitting on the bike can really affect the way it handles/corners - i.e. the angle of your elbows/arms, your position in the seat. After reading twist of the wrist i improved my conering no end by sliding back on the seat rather than having my nuts on the tank.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather rain Rain God Weather rain

Saturday.

Again...................... if it's raining at 10am, consider this cancelled.
If it is, a further date will be scheduled from the dates on offer.
f1reblade
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:

GULP!!!

Well a pro racer can go from vertical to full on knee down arse out lean of 50 odd degrees in roughly 1/2 a second.

The skill of riding is in the deflection Laughing

Laughing Laughing PS - the rear brake rawks so you can back it in Laughing Laughing
craigs23
Drag Racer
Drag Racer

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed my counter steering recently - maybe cos I've turned my steering damper up a couple of notches (front end feels nice and wriggly when powering on). Seems to be, that I use passive counter steering for slow corners and active counter steering as speeds increase.

What's the weather doing this weekend?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Events & runs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: