BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Road forum? Good idea/bad idea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Site ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Road forum? Good idea/bad idea? I.e. somewhere to post about Diesel spills, speed traps, gravel, horse sh!t, and the like
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 18 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Road forum? Good idea/bad idea? Reply with quote

Road forum? Good idea/bad idea?

I.e. somewhere to post about Diesel spills, speed traps, gravel, horse sh!t, and the like
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GSEX-SLAPPY
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea

Title? : Road Watch
Back to top
Chuffster
Knight in Green Armour
Knight in Green Armour


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 6450
Location: A green place

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea as long as its not spammed.
_________________
Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok who said no....? Laughing
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Baloo
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea and could perhaps include portable speed traps and the like.
Back to top
CHILLI
202.9mph Raspberry Ripple
202.9mph Raspberry Ripple


Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 7857

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffster wrote:
Great idea as long as its not spammed.


quite
_________________
Don't wait for your ship to come in .. torpedo it out of the water and move on to the next target
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BlueRR
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 2872

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Ok who said no....? Laughing


Meeeeeeeee ... i thought it was a bad idea as

i) it would only work if it was not spammed
ii) the forum is growing and growing ... not sure if that's a good thing or not ..

Sorryyyyyyyyyyyy
_________________
Are you ready boots ... ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roughie
Martini Model
Martini Model


Joined: 10 Oct 2004
Posts: 10558
Location: 175lbs down and counting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea but as above abso no spam .. no exceptions
_________________

[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Roughiediamond]Click Here to find Roughie on Facebook [/url]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wildchild
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep agreed good idea, will put my vote in a minute Laughing


and the same as the others, absolutely no SPAM!!!! Very Happy
Back to top
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 15669
Location: The Home Office

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good resource for route planners, perhaps.
_________________
If the phone doesnít ring, itís me...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSEX-SLAPPY
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could open out as a whole new mini forum with things like this
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-database.htm

that could be added to

then again just as easy to enter it into useful information Confused
Back to top
Chuffster
Knight in Green Armour
Knight in Green Armour


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 6450
Location: A green place

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it stays as a road watch it will be good. If people spot stuff while out and about that could benefit the rest of us then its a good thing.

EG The Diesel Spill in New Malden yesterday.

That could be vital info for people going in that direction.

Mobile piggy banks are always good to know about.

BUT IT MUST BE KEPT SPAM FREE
_________________
Its better to regret something you did rather than something you didnt do...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GSEX-SLAPPY
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought on the spam issue of the new thread ................is it not possible to maybe instate a compulsory 1 week ban from visiting that particular thread if caught spamming it ?


(just mulling things over and airing then)
Back to top
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo you do like to make things complicated don't ya Slappy Laughing

One possibility would be to create it as a Private non-visible forum where only members from a certain "Usergroup" could view/post, so in effect you would subscribe/unsubscribe to it by joining/leaving that usergroup. This would have the advantage that people not wanting a huge number of visible forums can choose not to be in that group, disadvantage being that the information would not be accessible to members outside that usergroup.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot of effort will have to go into this by a mod as a lot of the posts will become out of date and useless a few hours after they are posted i.e. diesel spills are not permanent.
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 15669
Location: The Home Office

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too complicated. People should to be able to post to this topic very rapidly.

I suggest that a one-week site-wide ban be the penalty for going off topic on the thread.
_________________
If the phone doesnít ring, itís me...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator


Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 19443
Location: Away with the fairys.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
Quite a lot of effort will have to go into this by a mod as a lot of the posts will become out of date and useless a few hours after they are posted i.e. diesel spills are not permanent.


My thoughts also Bob, lots of things are not permanent.

You can look up where mobile speed traps are before you go out.
_________________
Happiness is a friction burn on your knee Wink

The 1st Lady of the forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GSEX-SLAPPY
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ wrote:
Too complicated. People should to be able to post to this topic very rapidly.

I suggest that a one-week site-wide ban be the penalty for going off topic on the thread.


Good call mate ........If that was posted up as the first sticky on the thread it may well prevent spam ever starting Cool
Back to top
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlapheadBandit© wrote:
AJ wrote:
Too complicated. People should to be able to post to this topic very rapidly.

I suggest that a one-week site-wide ban be the penalty for going off topic on the thread.


Good call mate ........If that was posted up as the first sticky on the thread it may well prevent spam ever starting Cool


What are you two going to do with yourselves for the week though? Laughing
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueRR
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 2872

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about all this myself .. isn't a ban a bit like having to sit in the 'naughty corner' ... we're not children are we?

People should be adult enough to know that certain threads should not be spammed .. seems to work fine for new product reviews and useful information so the same 'rules' should apply. If there's any spamming, the moderators should just remove it ...
_________________
Are you ready boots ... ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueRR
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 2872

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the forum configurable enough so that we can select what to view ourselves, eg in our profiles ...?
_________________
Are you ready boots ... ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 15669
Location: The Home Office

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, it is the naughty corner, and if you look at a certain Ninja chappies post - we do need it.

Re selective reads: can do this already: MATR
_________________
If the phone doesnít ring, itís me...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueRR wrote:
Not sure about all this myself .. isn't a ban a bit like having to sit in the 'naughty corner' ... we're not children are we?


Agreed, I am not keen on banning anyone. With regard to info being out of date in a Road watch type forum it will get pushed down as time goes on and it's relevance decreases.

with regard to viewing certain forum areas, you can click on the categories

E.g.
"Box Hill" - http://www.boxhill.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/index.php?c=2
"Web site related" - http://www.boxhill.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/index.php?c=1

This expands/collapses categories...

There is a new version of phpBB (phpBB3) that is due for release fairly soon and that might have a few more toys on it for configuration, once it's released I'll have a play...
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BlueRR
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 2872

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Duncan ..

Threads will need to have date and time on the subject to make it easy to see relevance ...
_________________
Are you ready boots ... ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSEX-SLAPPY
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueRR wrote:
Thanks Duncan ..

Threads will need to have date and time on the subject to make it easy to see relevance ...


Good idea Sandra Wink

Now Aj can really say:

Captains log ....stardate....... Laughing
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Site ideas All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group