BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fork Oil and Springs

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Fork Oil and Springs Reply with quote

Hi All,

Im toying witht he idea of replacing the fork springs and fork oil on my CB1300 but dont know if this will be a big job or not.

Anyone know if a DIY mechanic (a novis like me) will be able to handle this on my ownsome?
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 3179
Location: Da Cronx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piece of piss as long as you have something accurate to measure the fork oil back in with. Big syringe is my favourite.
Drain it out at the bottom, slide old spring out of top drop new one in refill. Job done. Was think about stick some progressive fork srpings in mine, used to have them in an old GPZ900, they were good. Cool
_________________
Anything you say may be taken down and used as evidence in a court of law, or boxhill forum!!

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do it removing the fork legs, (which is generally can be less of a faff than trying to syringe the old it out), it'll be a whole lot easier with something like an Abbastand (I have one with CB1300 adapters but PJ_DJ has it at the moment). Put a trolley jack under the pipes (protected with a piece of wood. then a couple of axle stands, one each side under the frame rails.

OR.... If you want to be even more stable you can put the back on a paddock stand... then pass a scaffold tube through the rear wheel under the swing arm and put one end on an axle stand. then lift the other end onto another stand... solid as a rock Cool

Tips.

Slacken the top cap nuts whilst the forks are still on the bike - a lot easier than once fork legs are removed and you try and grip the chrome stancion

will dig out pics of when I had my forks out...
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 3179
Location: Da Cronx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the CB1300 have a drain hole in the bottom of the legs?

can't say I've done it on this bike but all the others I've done have Confused
_________________
Anything you say may be taken down and used as evidence in a court of law, or boxhill forum!!

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
Doesn't the CB1300 have a drain hole in the bottom of the legs?


No... unless you remove the damper screw at the bottom, which means front wheel out and generally they won't shift unless you compress the fork a bit.

Easiest on these (in my experience) to whip the forks out, take top cap off and tip them out and pump them a bit, then leave em inverted draining while you have a cuppa before refilling with fresh oil
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:



Yikes. Taking the forks off is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. Ahh well; looks like things are staying the way they are ( or possibly SSS is gonna get some business gong his way.

Thanks all
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
biggus wrote:



Yikes. Taking the forks off is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. Ahh well; looks like things are staying the way they are ( or possibly SSS is gonna get some business gong his way.

Thanks all

or ....ask someone in the know to (not do it for you) supervise you and learn something new Wink
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1


Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Posts: 7579

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that Southernspeeds rates are so reasonable its not woth getting the hands dirty.

I gave mark the VTR for a srvice/MoT and new tyres plus fork oil etc etc. The cost wasn't worth getting my tools out for, especially when you consider the tyres were over half the cost. Its a no brainer really, especially if you've limited spare time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that Southernspeeds rates are so reasonable its not woth getting the hands dirty.

I gave mark the VTR for a srvice/MoT and new tyres plus fork oil etc etc. The cost wasn't worth getting my tools out for, especially when you consider the tyres were over half the cost. Its a no brainer really, especially if you've limited spare time.


TBH Barry that's exactly what I had decided to do: Until today that is....

I liked the CB1300 and cant fault it as a bike. Me as a rider howver is a different story. I just never felt comfortable on it.

So I've traded it today and gone back tot he CBF1000 - My first love Smile
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacon
bacon© Lil Mush
bacon© Lil Mush


Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 1637
Location: "In a microclimate"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So instead of doing the fork oil and springs, you buy 2 new bikes....classic! Laughing rolling on the floor laughing
_________________
Comfortably Numb

WooHoo, feck you job centre...I'm offski?

"One man can't make a riot, a one man riot is a tantrum"!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group