BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hand guards

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ScattyMare
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 2558
Location: Smallfield

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: hand guards Reply with quote

looking for some hand guards for my bmw f650gs...the 'official' ones seem to be very expensive...any suggestions?
_________________
graceful...........not
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2693479
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into this myself recently.

I had barkbusters on the Versys, they performed admirably when I managed to drop the bike twice in a week Embarrassed with barely a scratch to the plastic. They also help to prevent the bodywork hitting the deck as the guards do stick out a long way. The storm covers are fantastic for weather protection too.

I've just ordered the barkbusters storm S7 single side mounting set to put on the FZ for winter. However, at 80+ they ain't cheap. The acerbis dual road was my other consideration for the looks and recessed led lights, but they're also in excess of 80 and the mounting doesn't seem as sleek as the barkbusters. The acerbis use an expanding bolt fitting so if you have threaded bars you will need to drill them out or do some other DIY mods.

Other than that, there's plenty of universal plastic kits on eBay but you will have to mess about rearranging the controls on your bars to make them fit, and for anything much cheaper you won't get a metal backbone. You gets what you pay for I suppose. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: hand guards Reply with quote

ScattyMare wrote:
looking for some hand guards for my bmw f650gs


sounds like a fair exchange Wink
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 2645
Location: Lost in Space

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: hand guards Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
ScattyMare wrote:
looking for some hand guards for my bmw f650gs


sounds like a fair exchange Wink
Hump rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing Thud
_________________
The Resident Forum Ghost
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the barkbusters kit arrived yesterday.

The single side mounting is a very nice bit of engineering, the backbone of the handguard slots into a nicely machined piece of aluminium, then locks in place with another spacer. There is another weight hidden inside this spacer and the whole kit just screws straight into the bar end. (And yes, they do supply threadlock)

The original Yamaha bar end is 196g. The barkbusters mounting assembly is 71g, but this goes up to 279g with the backbone and 390g with the plastic guard. Hopefully there won't be too much buzz through the bars once the kit is fitted Pray

The kit comes with a variety of different spacers and screws to fit 6mm or 8mm threaded bars. All in all, very impressed! Very Happy (apologies for slightly blurry photos, phone camera is pants!)











Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ELIMINATOR
CBT'er
CBT'er


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scattymare:

Are you buying these to keep your hands warm, or to protect the levers?

I have an 1159GS, the handguards actually make my fingers colder than on my other bikes that have no guards. I think the air gets accelerated under them and freezes my fingertips. I bought some Tucano urbano muffs, cured the problem. Fitted them to the other bikes, I now wear summer gloves all year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group