BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be a blood donor!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Miss G
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 1513

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew was born a year ago, delivered by Caesarean section, following which my sister had nasty complications and needed 6 units of blood. She can no longer donate, so I make a point of going every time I'm invited. It takes longer to park and go through the formalities than it does to pump out a pint of blood (4 minutes to be precise). Today's reward, a large glass of red and a bar of dark chocolate!!
_________________
An open mouth is a straight line to the mind.

Iím impressed, Iíve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1269
Location: Pound Hill Crawley, West Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Done you! I can not donate as I once had hepatitis so I do admire the ones who donate...
When you getting on 2 wheels again?
x
_________________
The road to success is always under construction.
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits He's lost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScattyMare wrote:
My daughter - Skye, passed out with school vaccine, had panic attack when had to give blood sample

But she believes in giving blood that a few days after her 17th she gave blood, sick and fainted - she has her next appointment to give again

What a brave girl


Just seen on the book of fail that she's donated again Cool Smile

Well done Very Happy
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

applause Well done Skye applause
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off to give my platelets today. I do it every 4 weeks but only for the free tea and sandwiches!
Have some tea and cake
I think NinjaBob takes most of my donations.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's National Blood Week this week... http://www.blood.co.uk/news/nbw/
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've booked to donate this week, I was on a 6 month ban after they accidentally took a little too much in January.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to donate for the tenth time.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter


Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 3988
Location: .........in another world !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have now had to retire from donating blood after 47 times, would love to have made 50 donations. So if anyone could donate but doesn't, please give it a go, it's so easy to sign up. Also, plenty of free food and drink on offer ! Very Happy Oh, and with every bag you fill you lose about 3,000 calories !

My name is still on their register in case they change the rules and allow me back again, as I have Atrial Fibrillation and they are not at this present time prepared to take the risk. Crying or Very sad
_________________
It's all down to quality of life !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flintstone wrote:
Well, I have now had to retire from donating blood after 47 times, would love to have made 50 donations. So if anyone could donate but doesn't, please give it a go, it's so easy to sign up. Also, plenty of free food and drink on offer ! Very Happy Oh, and with every bag you fill you lose about 3,000 calories !

My name is still on their register in case they change the rules and allow me back again, as I have Atrial Fibrillation and they are not at this present time prepared to take the risk. Crying or Very sad


Sorry to hear about your condition, but think of the difference you've made over the years Cool
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Fred Applause Applause Applause . You have to look after yourself, and your contribution far exceeds many.

I am rapidly racking up my platelet donations, another one today.
As I have a high count I can donate every 4 weeks, so its quicker than whole blood donations. Still very important though, especially with my blood group.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter


Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 3988
Location: .........in another world !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
Well done Fred Applause Applause Applause . You have to look after yourself, and your contribution far exceeds many.

I am rapidly racking up my platelet donations, another one today.
As I have a high count I can donate every 4 weeks, so its quicker than whole blood donations. Still very important though, especially with my blood group.


Yours is probably a good vintage ! Laughing
_________________
It's all down to quality of life !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flintstone wrote:
Yours is probably a good vintage ! Laughing


A kick in the nuts but rolling on the floor laughing
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/bexley_couple_rack_up_150_blood_donations_between_them_1_2281003
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sat waiting to make a donation. Smile
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an email through reminding me to donate, but I've done it recently, so bumping the topic to remind donors old or new Smile
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that time again, just booked to donate again in da Cronx this time. You'd think they would get enough off the pavements?
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
You'd think they would get enough off the pavements?

Yeah, but its all mixed with the piss and sick!

The donor centre have persuaded me that I can give platelets every two weeks. On one hand I'm glad I'm fit and able enough to donate so regularly (and it's for such a good cause of course), but with travelling its 5 hours.

Still 10 hours a month from me, possibly a lifetime for someone else. Tinks
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:


The donor centre have persuaded me that I can give platelets every two weeks. On one hand I'm glad I'm fit and able enough to donate so regularly (and it's for such a good cause of course), but with travelling its 5 hours.

Still 10 hours a month from me, possibly a lifetime for someone else. Tinks


As someone who could benefit from your and other donors selflessness I will say thank you now.

If I were to require urgent surgery I would almost certainly require platelet transfusions before it could be carried out.

Recently I thought my biking days were over with platelet counts of 8, 10 and 15 since Christmas (normal count is 150 - 400), fortunately this has since risen to 69 with higher dose weekly self injected medication.

A count of 10 or below is considered life threatening as a sudden intracranial bleed (brain hemorrhage) can occur.

Easy to see how some of us could be "out with the washing" without the help of others.
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
with platelet counts of 8, 10 and 15 since Christmas

Shocked
ninjabob wrote:
(normal count is 150 - 400)

I must find out what mine is, if only to make sure they aren't taking too much! Wink
ninjabob wrote:
fortunately this has since risen to 69
2 Thumbs up
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ninjabob"]
JimBo wrote:



Recently I thought my biking days were over with platelet counts of 8, 10 and 15 since Christmas (normal count is 150 - 400), fortunately this has since risen to 69 with higher dose weekly self injected medication.



ok everyone...ignore my past ranting on facebook about Bob being a raving junkie .....apparently its all pescription stuff Embarrassed












Laughing
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just donated again. Think this is #12
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again Friday just gone.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked in again for start of August
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donating a week tomorrow for the 15th (I think) time.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group